This year in Pac-12 volleyball
• Pac-12 volleyball made history in 2014 as 10 teams earned berths to the NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship, setting a new league and NCAA record. Five league teams were seeded in the top 16: top-seeded STANFORD, No. 3 WASHINGTON, No. 10 OREGON, No. 11 ARIZONA, and No. 12 UCLA. Joining the five seeded teams were ARIZONA STATE, COLORADO, OREGON STATE, USC and UTAH. The Pac-12 also set a league record for most teams ranked in the AVCA Coaches Poll, with nine teams in the top 25 of the final polling.
• STANFORD won its 16th Pac-12 title and advanced to the national semifinal, finishing the season with the best win-loss percentage in the nation. The Cardinal’s appearance in the national semifinal marked the 31st time in the history of the NCAA Tournament that at least one league team has advanced that far.
• Fourteen Pac-12 players were named to AVCA All-America teams, the most selections for the league since 2006. It was the 13th-consecutive year that the Pac-12 has had at least eight student-athletes on AVCA All-America teams.
• The Pac-12 has won 14 of 34 NCAA titles awarded, including 12 of the last 24. It was also the 15th-consecutive year the Conference has had at least six teams compete in the NCAA Tournament.
• The 10-0 record in the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament marked the most first-round wins in Conference history. Previously, Pac-12 teams went undefeated seven times in the opening round: 8-0 in 2000; 7-0 in 2008; 6-0 in 2007, 1998, 1996 and 1982; and 2-0 in 1990.
• In the final week of the regular season, Pac-12 teams posted an astonishing six upsets, including UW’s win over previously unbeaten Stanford. For a full list of the 29 upsets by Pac-12 teams this season, see page five.
• A whopping 22 players were named to the AVCA All-Region teams, with 14 on the All-Pacific North Region squad and eight on the All-Pacific South team. The 22 student-athletes on teams bests the league’s previous record of 16 All-Region honorees, which was set last year when the All-Pacific team split into North and South divisions.
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive