Oregon, Washington advance to round two of Pac-12 men's tennis championships
OJAI, Calif. - OREGON and WASHINGTON won their opening-round duals to advance to the second round of the 2015 Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championships. The Ducks will face third-seeded CALIFORNIA on Thursday at 12 p.m. PT, while the Huskies will play against fourth-seeded UCLA at 3 p.m. PT.
Fifth-seeded Oregon was dominant in securing their victory over No. 8 ARIZONA, winning the match by a score of 4-1. The Ducks secured the doubles point with wins on the second and third courts, as the duo of Daniel Sardu and Joey Swaysland won on court No. 2 and Cormac Clissold teamed with Jayson Amos to win on court No. 3. Amos picked up the first singles win, not dropping a single point as he defeated UA’s Shoki Kasahara on court No. 4, 6-0, 6-0, and Clissold followed with a 6-2, 6-0 win of his own on court No. 5. Arizona’s Jason Jaruvang had the lone point for the Wildcats, defeating Sardu on court No. 2, 6-4, 6-1, but Simon Stevens of Oregon clinched the match for the Ducks with a 7-5, 6-2 win on court No. 3.
The Huskies swept No. 7 Utah in their championship opener, defeating the Utes, 4-0. The doubles point was a close victory for UW, as they won on court No. 3 but lost on court No. 2 and the top court saw a tough battle that ended in a victory for Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke, 8-6. It was smooth sailing from there as all three Husky singles victories came in straight sets. Egger held off Utah’s Matt Cowley on court No. 3, winning 6-1, 6-4, followed by Jake Douglas of UW defeating Parker McGuiness of Utah, 6-1, 6-3, on court No. 2. Gal Hakak clinched the match for the Huskies with a 6-2, 6-1 win on court No. 4.
The 2015 Pac-12 Tennis Championships continue tomorrow, Thursday, Apr. 23. The semifinals will take place on Friday, Apr. 24, with the championship match scheduled for Sunday, Apr. 25. All matches take place at Libbey Park in Ojai, Calif. For more information, visit pac-12.com/tennischamps.
No. 5 Oregon 4, No. 8 Arizona 1
1. Daan Maasland/Simon Stevens (UO) vs. Naoki Takeda/Shoki Kasahara (UA), 7-7 (susp.)
2. Daniel Sardu/Joey Swaysland (UO) def. Will Kneale/Matt Dunn (UA), 8-6
3. Cormac Clissold/Jayson Amos (UO) def. Jason Jaruvang/Trevor James (UA), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. Daan Maasland (UO) vs. Naoki Takeda (UA), susp. (Maasland up 3-2)
2. Jason Jaruvang (UA) def. Daniel Sardu (UO), 6-4, 6-1
3. Simon Stevens (UO) def. Will Kneale (UA), 7-5, 6-2
4. Jayson Amos (UO) def. Shoki Kasahara (UA), 6-0, 6-0
5. Cormac Clissold (UO) def. Trevor James (UA), 6-2, 6-0
6. Joey Swaysland (UO) vs. Tano Zamorano (UA), susp. (Swaysland up 7-6(1), 4-2)
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 3
No. 6 Washington 4, No. 7 Utah 0
1. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) def. Cedric Willems/Matt Cowley (UTAH), 8-6
2. Parker McGuiness/Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) def. Joao Barra/Vik Farkas (UW), 8-3
3. Jake Douglas/Wendell Watanabe (UW) def. Johan Jonhagen/Santiago Sierra (UTAH), 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Mitch Stewart (UW) vs. Cedric Willems (UTAH), susp. (Willems up 7-6(3), 2-1)
2. Jake Douglas (UW) def. Parker McGuiness (UTAH), 6-1, 6-3
3. Emmett Egger (UW) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH), 6-1, 6-4
4. Gal Hakak (UW) def. Freddie McGeehan (UTAH), 6-2, 6-1
5. Jeff Hawke (UW) vs. Johan Jonhagen (UTAH), susp. (Hawke up 6-3, 5-4)
6. Viktor Farkas (UW) vs. Jamey Swiggart (UTAH), susp. (tied, 6-4, 0-6)
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive