California, UCLA off to semifinals for men's tennis championships
OJAI, Calif. - Fourth-seeded CALIFORNIA and third-seeded UCLA will continue play in the 2015 Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championships after earning quarterfinal victories on Thursday. The Golden Bears will face off against top-seeded STANFORD tomorrow, Friday, Apr. 24 at 12 p.m. PT while the Bruins will play the other semifinal match against No. 2 USC at 3 p.m. PT.
It was a dramatic finish for California in a contest against fifth-seeded OREGON that saw four singles matches go to three sets with four seven-point tiebreakers. The Ducks picked up the doubles point despite a victory on court No. 1 for the Golden Bears. Cal came back to win four singles matches, including an emotional three-set match between Cal’s Gregory Bayane and Oregon’s Simon Stevens that ended with an in-bounds service ace from Bayane.
UCLA picked up the doubles point with two quick wins on courts No. 2 and 3 and didn’t stop there, earning three straight-set singles victories to sweep WASHINGTON. The Bruins had singles wins on the top three courts, with Dennis Mkrtchian picking up the first singles point in a 6-3, 6-1 win on court No. 2. Mackenzie McDonald followed with a 6-2, 6-1 victory on court No. 1 for the Bruins, and Martin Redlicki sealed the win for UCLA with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court No. 3.
The 2015 Pac-12 Tennis Championships continue this week, with semifinal matches tomorrow and the championship match on Saturday, April 25 at 5 p.m. PT. For more information, visit pac-12.com/tennischamps.
No. 4 California 4, No. 5 Oregon 3
1. Gregory Bayane/Chase Melton (CAL) def. Daan Maasland/Simon Stevens (ORE), 8-3
2. Daniel Sardu/Joey Swaysland (UO) def. Filip Bergevi/Mads Engsted (CAL), 8-4
3. Cormac Clissold/Jayson Amos (UO) def. Andre Goransson/Oskar Wikberg (CAL), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Andre Goransson (CAL) def. Daan Maasland (UO), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Daniel Sardu (UO) def. Filip Bergevi (CAL), 2-6, 7-6(6), 7-6(5)
3. Gregory Bayane (CAL) def. Simon Stevens (UO), 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-4
4. Oskar Wikberg (CAL) def. Jayson Amos (UO), 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
5. Cormac Clissold (UO) def. JT Nishimura (CAL), 6-3, 6-2
6. Billy Griffith (CAL) def. Joey Swaysland (UO), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 4, 2, 3
No. 3 UCLA 4, No. 6 Washington 0
1. Mackenzie McDonald/Martin Redlicki (UCLA) vs. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW), 7-7 susp.
2. Joe DiGiulio/Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Joao Barra/Viktor Farkas (UW), 8-1
3. Dennis Mkrtchian/Austin Rapp (UCLA) def. Jake Douglas/Wendell Watanabe (UW), 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) def. Mitch Stewart (UW), 6-2, 6-1
2. Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Jake Douglas (UW), 6-3, 6-1
3. Martin Redlicki (UCLA) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 6-2, 6-4
4. Karue Sell (UCLA) vs. Gal Hakak (UW), susp. (Hakak up 6-3, 1-3)
5. Austin Rapp (UCLA) vs. Jeff Hawke (UW), susp. (Hawke up 6-2, 3-5)
6. Joe DiGiulio (UCLA) vs. Viktor Farkas (UW), susp. (DiGiulio up 6-4, 2-2)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3