California Leads After Day One of Pac-12 Championships
Federal Way, Wash. California took the lead after the first day of competition at the Men's Pac-12 Swimming Championships, held at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash. The Golden Bears were on the podium for both the 200 medley relay and the 800 freestyle relay on Wednesday night.
200 Medley Relay
• Arizona's quartet of freshman Chatham Dobbs, senior Andrew Sovero, freshman Chad Idensohn and junior Renny Richmond earned a first-place finish with a time of 1:23.74.
• Arizona's winning time of 1:23.74 is the tied for the third-best time in the country on the year. The Wildcats last won the event in 2014.
• USC earned a runner-up finish with a time of 1:24.50 while California's time of 1:24.62 was good for third place.
800 Freestyle Relay
• California's team of senior Trent Williams, freshman Andrew Seliskar, sophomore Kyle Coan and junior Long Gutierrez clocked a time of 6:16.63 in the 800 freestyle relay.
• It is California's first Conference title in the event since 1992.
• USC took second place with a time of 6:16.77, Stanford's time of 6:18.16 was good for third place and Arizona took fourth place in 6:19.31. All four times met the NCAA 'A' Standard.
Team Scores Through Event 2
1. California - 72
2. Arizona - 70
3. USC - 68
4. Stanford - 62
5. Arizona State - 56
6. Utah - 52
Competition resumes on Thursday at 11 a.m. PT with the preliminary rounds of the 500 freestyle, 200 individual medley and 50 freestyle. The finals session for those events plus the 200 freestyle relay (timed final) will begin at 6 p.m. PT.
- Arizona Men's Swimming & Diving
- Arizona State Men's Swimming & Diving
- California Men's Swimming & Diving
- Stanford Men's Swimming & Diving
- USC Men's Swimming & Diving
- Utah Men's Swimming & Diving
- Pac-12 Men's Swimming Championships
- Arizona State
- Men's Swimming & Diving
- Pac-12 Conference
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive