Momentum to continue for Pac-12 women's soccer teams
• After an upset by CALIFORNIA over Texas Tech and UCLA beating reigning national champion, Penn State, the momentum hopefully continues with two notable top-10 matches this week. No. 10 Minnesota faces No. 2 STANFORD and No. 8 North Carolina squares off against No. 9 UCLA.
• The Pac-12 Conference has continually had three or more teams in the NSCAA top-25 with Stanford making a strong presence at first or second each week this season. Pac-12 teams continue to reign victorious over ranked teams, proving their worth, including multiple upsets and notable wins over the past three weeks.
• OREGON, Stanford, and California sit a top the Conference standings with five wins overall after last weekend’s matches. Oregon reigned victorious over Boise State (2-1) and North Texas (3-0). Stanford triumphed over Wisconsin (2-1) and Marquette (3-0). California, No. 19 at the time, upset then-No. 15 Texas Tech (4-0) and Texas (1-0). California’s Emily Boyd currently leads the nation in shutouts with five.
• NSCAA rankings feature three Pac-12 teams this week with Stanford at No. 2, UCLA at No. 9, and California at No. 12. USC, WASHINGTON, and ARIZONA also received votes.
• Five games appear on the Pac-12 Network this week: Loyola Marymount vs. USC, Minnesota vs. Stanford, and North Carolina vs. UCLA on Friday. Notre Dame vs. Stanford and North Carolina vs. USC on Sunday.
• UCLA’s Jessie Fleming is the Conference’s Offensive Player of the Week and her teammate, MacKenzie Cerda, is the Defensive Player of the Week. USC’s Sammy Jo Prudhomme was tabbed the Goalkeeper of the Week.
• The reigning Pac-12 Player of the Year, Arielle Ship, returns for the Golden Bears this season, as well as USC's Kayla Mills, the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and Stanford's Jane Campbell, the Pac-12 Goalkeeper of the Year. Six members of the All-Pac-12 first team and eight members of the All-Pac-12 second team are returning for the coming season.
• TopDrawerSoccer.com features 5 Pac-12 schools in the top-25 with Stanford at No. 1, California at No. 10, UCLA at No. 11, USC at No. 16, andArizona at No. 23.
• Twenty-eight players from NCAA Division I schools around the country have been marked as potential contenders for the 2016 Missouri Athletic Club’s (MAC) Hermann Trophy. The MAC Hermann Trophy is the most prestigious individual award in college soccer, presented annually to one male and one female athlete. The Pac-12 has five representatives on the list: Stanford’s senior Jane Campbell and junior Andi Sullivan, USC’s seniors Kayla Mills and Morgan Andres, along with California’s senior Arielle Ship.
• The countdown of Pac12 Networks’ 850 live event telecasts begin on the pitch with a 68-game women’s soccer schedule. Each Pac-12 team appears on the Network at least six times (home or away) in 2016.
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded standings)
|Teams||Points||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (Times local to site)
|Friday, Sep. 9||TV/Stream||Time|
|OREGON STATE at Michigan State||11 a.m. PT|
|#12 CALIFORNIA at St. Mary's (Calif.)||1:30 p.m. PT|
|Hawai'i at COLORADO||Live Stream||4:30 p.m. MT|
|UTAH at Purdue||4 p.m. PT|
|St. John's (New York) at WASHINGTON||4:30 p.m. PT|
|Loyola Marymount at USC||P12N||4:30 p.m. PT|
|San Francisco at ARIZONA STATE||5:30 p.m. MT|
|UC Irvine at OREGON||5 p.m. PT|
|WASHINGTON STATE at TCU||5:01 p.m. PT|
|#10 Minnesota at #2 STANFORD||P12N||6 p.m. PT|
|Northern Illinois at ARIZONA||Live Stream||7 p.m. PT|
|#8 North Carolina at #9 UCLA||P12LA||7 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, Sep. 11|
|UTAH at North Dakota State||10 a.m. PT|
|OREGON STATE at Eastern Michigan||10 a.m. PT|
|#20 Notre Dame at #2 STANFORD||P12N||11 a.m. PT|
|Northern Illinois at ARIZONA STATE||12 p.m. MT|
|Iowa at COLORADO||Live Stream||12 p.m. PT|
|UC Davis at #12 CALIFORNIA||1 p.m. PT|
|#8 North Carolina at USC||P12N||1 p.m. PT|
|San Francisco at ARIZONA||Live Stream||1:30 p.m. PT|
|OREGON at Cal State Fullerton||5 p.m. PT|
|San Diego at #9 UCLA||5 p.m. PT|
P12N/P12A/P12BA/P12LA/P12M/P12O/P12W - Indicates live broadcast on Pac-12 Network. MWN - Indicates live broadcast on Mountain West Network.
PAC-12 PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offensive: Jessie Fleming, Fr., UCLA
Defensive: MacKenzie Cerda, Jr., UCLA
Goalkeeper: Sammy Jo Prudhomme, RSr., USC
Offensive: Lexe Selman Richards, ARIZ; Kelly Fitzgerald, CAL; Taylor Kornieck, COLO; Abby Morrow, ORE; Helene Haavik, OSU; Alex Anthony, USC; Shannon Simon, WASH; Morgan Weaver, WSU.
Defensive: Brandi Park, ARIZ; Indigo Gibson, CAL; Mia Costa, ORE; Greta Espinoza, OSU; Nicole Molen, USC; Havana McElvaine, WASH; Susie White, WSU.
Goalkeeper: Lainey Burdett, ARIZ; Emily Boyd, CAL; Bella Geist, OSU; Teagan Micah, UCLA; Sarah Shimer, WASH; Ella Dederick, WSU.
2016 PAC-12 WOMEN'S SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Aug. 23||Darian Jenkins, UCLA||Alana Cook, STAN||Teagan Micah, UCLA|
|Aug. 30||Hailey Skolmoski, UTAH||Caitlyn Wong, ORE||Jane Campbell, STAN|
|Sep. 6||Jessie Fleming, UCLA||MacKenzie Cerda, UCLA||Sammy Jo Prudhomme, USC|
MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List
Jane Campbell, Stanford; Andi Sullivan, Stanford; Kayla Mills, USC; Morgan Andres, USC; Arielle Ship, California
- Arizona Women's Soccer
- Arizona State Women's Soccer
- California Women's Soccer
- Colorado Women's Soccer
- Oregon Women's Soccer
- Oregon State Women's Soccer
- Stanford Women's Soccer
- UCLA Women's Soccer
- USC Women's Soccer
- Utah Women's Soccer
- Washington Women's Soccer
- Washington State Women's Soccer
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Southern Utah
- Washington State
- Women's Soccer