This Week in Pac-12 Men's Soccer
• Pac-12 teams went unbeaten this week going 8-0-1 going into the last week of non-conference play. No. 11 SAN DIEGO STATE looks to remain undefeated as it takes on Pacific and San Diego at home. CALIFORNIA faces a top-25 opponent when the Bears travel to No. 25 UC Santa Barbra on Sunday, Sept. 24. OREGON STATE and WASHINGTON will both appear on the Pac-12 Network when the Beavers meet UC Irvine on Thursday, Sept. 22, and the Huskies meet in-state rival Seattle on Sunday, Sept. 25.
• The Pac-12 continues to have three teams ranked in the NSCAA top 25 this week. UCLA sits at its highest rank so far this season at No. 6, followed by San Diego State at No. 11 and STANFORD at No. 23. Washington and California also received votes.
• California senior Christian Thierjung was named the Conference’s Player of the Week after his five-goal performance against Harvard leading the Bears to a 6-2 victory. Thierjung is currently in the top 10 nationally in goals per game (1.17), points per game (2.33), total goals (7), and total points (14). The Bears kept their undefeated home streak also defeating Omaha, 2-1. It was Thierjung’s second-career nod and Cal’s 30th all-time.
• No. 11 San Diego State continues to remain undefeated posting its fifth-straight shutout in a 0-0 draw at Cal Poly. Junior goalkeeper Adam Allmaras continues to lead the Aztecs’ defense posting seven saves during the match and the 15th shutout of his career moving him into the top two nationally in both save percentage (.957) and goals against average (.155). Allmaras has played all 567:41 of SDSU's current opponents scoreless streak.
• No. 6 UCLA took down a top-20 opponent when it posted a comeback-overtime victory over then-No. 13 UC Santa Barbra. Redshirt Junior Brian Illoski scored with three seconds left to send the game into overtime, giving the Bruins a 2-1 win. Sophomore midfielder Jackson Yueill continues to appear in the top-five national rankings in assists per game (.83) and total assists (5).
• No. 23 Stanford posted two home victories over the weekend. The Cardinal posted a 3-1 win over Harvard on Friday, in which all three goals were scored in the game's first nine minutes, and a 4-0 victory over Omaha on Sunday. The Cardinal has won three straight matches and scored at least three goals in each match, something it hasn't done since 2001.
• Oregon State rallied with a pair of late goals to take a 2-0 victory over UNLV. Freshman David Norman is in the top three nationally for total assists (5).
• Washington had a perfect weekend with a 3-2 double overtime victory over Davidson and a 2-0 victory over the College of Charleston and leads the conference in corner kicks per game (7.71).
• 2015 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Jose Hernandez of UCLA is among the 14 players with All-Conference honors returning to Pac-12 rosters this season. That list includes first-team members, UCLA's Seyi Adekoya and Abu Danladi, Nick Lima and Christian Thierjung of California, and Timmy Mueller of Oregon State competing this season.
• Twenty-eight players from NCAA Division I schools around the country have been marked as potential contenders for the 2016 Missouri Athletic Club’s (MAC) Hermann Trophy. The MAC Hermann Trophy is the most prestigious individual award in college soccer, presented annually to one male and one female athlete. Stanford’s Jordan Morris took home the honor last season. This year, the Pac-12 has two representatives on the list: UCLA’s Jose Hernandez and Abu Danladi.
• The countdown of Pac12 Networks’ 850 live event telecasts began on the pitch with a 36-game men’s soccer schedule. Each Pac-12 team appears on the Network at least 10 times (home or away) in 2016.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (all times local to site)
|Thursday, Sept. 22|
|UC Irvine at Oregon State||P12N/P21O||12 p.m. PT|
|Friday, Sept. 23|
|University of the Pacific at #11 San Diego State||4 p.m. PT|
|#6 UCLA at Cal Poly||8 p.m. PT|
|#23 Stanford at University of San Francisco||7 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, Sept. 24|
|California at #25 UC Santa Barbara||7 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, Sept. 25|
|Seattle at Washington||PAC12||5 p.m. PT|
|San Diego at #11 San Diego State||7 p.m. PT|
|Teams||Points||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
|San Diego State||0||0-0||4-0-2|
PAC-12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
THIS WEEK: Christian Thierjung, CAL
ALSO NOMINATED: Handwalla Bwana, WASH; Adam Allmaras, SDSU; Foster Langsdorf, STAN; Brian Iloski, UCLA
2016 PAC-12 MEN'S SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Sept. 19||Christian Thierjung, CAL|
|Sept. 13||Jeroen Meefout, SDSU|
|Sept. 6||Adam Allmaras, SDSU|
|Aug. 30||Nick Lima, California|
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive