Montez, Thomas, Gonzalez earn weekly Conference honors
Offensive: Steven Montez, Fr., QB, Colorado
• In Colorado’s 41-38 win at Oregon, the redshirt freshman made his first collegiate start, and had 468 yards of total offense and 23 first downs earned (8 rush/15 passing).
• He enjoyed the best game in a quarterback’s first start at Colorado in terms total offense (surpassing 430 by Kordell Stewart vs. Colorado State in 1992 – 409 pass/21 rush).
• His 135 yards rushing were the most in a debut by a starting QB at Colorado (topping the 116 by Darian Hagan vs. Texas in 1989) and is the 10th most in any game all-time at Colorado by a quarterback (and the first 100-yard game by a quarterback since Nov. 4, 2006 when Bernard Jackson rushed for 105 against Kansas State).
• His 468 yards of total offense were the fourth-most in a single-game in Colorado history and it was the first-ever 300 passing/100 rushing game in school history
• His 14 straight completions in the first half tied for the second-most in school history (trailing 15 by Mike Moschetti over two games in 1999); it matched the most in one game (Koy Detmer, 14 at Colorado State in 1996).
Defensive: Solomon Thomas, Jr., DL, Stanford
• Had three tackles, one sack, two tackles for loss, one fumble recovery, one touchdown in Stanford’s 22-13 victory over UCLA.
• Held the Bruins to 77 rushing yards and 2.3 yards per rush
• Thomas’ sack in the third quarter with Stanford down by seven forced a punt, and his 42-yard fumble return for a TD on final play of game sealed the Pac-12 road victory
Special Teams: Zane Gonzalez Sr., PK, Arizona State
• Gonzalez totaled 15 points on the night (3FG, 6XP), in ASU’s 51-41 victory over California.
• With his three field goals, Gonzalez moved into 4th in FBS history for career field goals made at 84. FSU’s Dustin Hopkins holds the FBS record of 88.
• He is now one shy of the Pac-12 record of 85 by UCLA’s Kai Forbath (2007-10). He has now scored a point in 43 consecutive games and is near Luis Zendejas’ school record of 45 consecutive games with points scored set from 1981-1984.
• Gonzalez booted seven of his 10 kickoffs on the night for touchbacks moving his season total to 30-of-37 (81.1 percent).
Offensive: Manny Wilkins, ASU; Christian McCaffrey, STAN; Nate Iese, UCLA; Justin Davis, USC; Troy Williams, UTAH; Lavon Coleman, WASH
Defensive: Laiu Moeakiola, ASU; Ahkello Witherspoon, COLO; Devin Chappell, OSU; Kenny Young, UCLA; Cameron Smith, USC; Chase Hansen, UTAH
Special Teams: Victor Bolden, OSU; Conrad Ukropina, STAN; Austin Kent, UCLA; Adoree' Jackson, USC; Mitch Wishnowsky, UTAH
2016 PAC-12 FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Sept. 26||Steven Montez, COLO||Solomon Thomas, STAN||Zane Gonzalez, ASU|
|Sept. 19||Chad Hansen, CAL||Treston Decoud, OSU||Zane Gonzalez, ASU|
|Sept. 12||Kalen Ballage, ASU||Sunia Tauteoli, UTAH||Adoree' Jackson, USC|
|Sept. 5||Sefo Liufau, COLO||Troy Dye, ORE||Mitch Wishnowsky, UTAH|
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 10:30am PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive