Stanford is in first after day two of Pac-12 Men's Swimming Championships
Federal Way, Wash. - Stanford is in the lead after the second day of competition at the Men's Pac-12 Swimming Championships, held at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash. The Cardinal were on the podium in each of the four events.
• Freshman Grant Shoults of Stanford won the 500-yard freestyle in a Pac-12 Championship record and an NCAA ‘A’ Standard.
• Shoults haulted a four-year USC winning streak in the event.
• Stanford claimed the second spot as well with freshman True Sweetser coming in second in a time of 4:14.11. USC’s senior Reed Malone took third in 4:14.52.
200-yard Individual Medley
• California sophomore Andrew Seliskar claimed the individual crown for the second-straight year on Thursday with a time of 1:41.24, two seconds off of his winning time from last year.
• Seliskar, who swam the NCAA ‘A’ standard tonight, was on the winning 800-yard freestyle relay team that set the Pac-12 Championship record last night.
• Seliskar’s teammate Ryan Murphy took second in the event with a time of 1:42.40 and Stanford’s sophomore Abrahm DeVine took third in 1:42.59.
• California freshman Pawel Sendyk won the event in a time of 19.17.
• The top-19 swimmers in the event swam under the NCAA ‘B’ Standard of 20.19.
• Stanford junior Sam Perry took second in the event with a time of 19.30 and in a tie for third, California’s freshman Michael Jensen and junior Justin Lynch finished in a time of 19.36.
200-yard Freestyle Relay
• The California quartet of freshman Pawel Sendyk, freshman Michael Jensen, junior Justin Lynch, and senior Ryan Murphy took the 200-yard freestyle relay title in an NCAA ‘A’ Standard time of 1:16.46.
• In the three relays that have occurred at the Pac-12 Men’s Swimming Championships, California has won all three.
• Stanford was second in a time of 1:17.11, Arizona State was third in a time of 1:17.11, and USC was fourth in a time of 1:17.24. All four teams swam under the NCAA ‘A’ Standard of 1:17.77.
Team Scores Through Event 9 (INCLUDES DIVING)
1. Stanford - 387
2. USC - 305
3. California - 292
4. Arizona State - 228
5. Arizona - 126
6. Utah - 114
Competition resumes on Friday at 11 a.m. PT with the preliminary rounds of the 400 individual medley, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke and 100 backstroke. The finals session for those events plus the 400 medley relay (timed final) will begin at 6 p.m. PT.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Fri 8/18 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 7:00pm PTLive