Colorado's Wright IV collects Pac-12 men's basketball weekly honor
Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week (1/8/18) - McKinley Wright IV, Fr., G, COLORADO
• COLORADO’s McKinley Wright IV earns his first Pac-12 Player of the Week award for the week of Jan. 1-7 as voted on by media who cover the league. Wright led the Buffs to upsets over No. 4 Arizona State and No. 14 Arizona for the program’s first-ever back-to-back wins against AP Top 15 opponents.
• The true freshman averaged 17.5 points (13-26 FG, 9-11 FT) and 7.5 assists to lead CU to the pair of upsets. He led the team with 19 points, five assists and three rebounds in Friday’s 90-81 overtime victory over No. 4 Arizona State for the Buffaloes' highest ranked victory since 2003 (No. 3 Texas). He recorded his third career double-double and second of the points-assists variety as CU knocked off No. 17 Arizona, 80-77, on Sunday.
• Wright is the first Colorado freshman to win the Pac-12 weekly honor and only the second underclassman to win the award (Askia Booker) among the Buffs’ nine all-time weekly nods.
• The North Robbinsdale, Minn. native is tied for second in the Pac-12 with 5.3 assists per game. His 84 assists through 16 games are already in the top 10 for a freshman in CU history, and he is on pace to surpass Chauncey Billups’ rookie record of 143 set in 1995-96.
• Colorado (10-6, 2-2) will travel to face USC (11-6, 2-2) on Wednesday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. PT on FS1 and league-leading UCLA (12-4, 3-1) on Saturday, Jan. 13 at 7:30 p.m. PT on Pac-12 Network.
ALSO NOMINATED: Deandre Ayton, ARIZONA; Tres Tinkle, OREGON STATE; Daejon Davis, STANFORD; Aaron Holiday, UCLA; Matisse Thybulle, WASHINGTON; Robert Franks, WASHINGTON STATE.
2017-18 PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive