For the 5th consecutive year, the Pac-12 Networks is offering our exclusive “Pac-12 Networks’ Television Production Student Training Program”.
Our mission and objective is to inspire and expose our Pac-12 University students to the world of live sports television production with an emphasis on safety, remote production techniques, mobile unit technologies, hands-on operating and educational experience. With our training team and production crews on site closely supervising trainees, the program is designed to help prepare our students to potentially work for the Pac-12 Networks and for a future job in the broadcast business (trainees are not entitled to a job at the conclusion of the training).
The training is unpaid, however, with roughly 1,800 paid student positions last season, students and former trainees have played a valuable role in our productions. They have been hired for roles such as Red Hats/Time Out Coordinators, Runners, Stage Managers, Spotters, Statisticians, Utilities and Camera Operators, all while gaining valuable experience working with other professionals in sports broadcasting.
While we prepare and train students to work in these positions, many become more valuable as crew members and ultimately become repeat hires, which benefits both the students and the Network. Each session is pre-scheduled in advance and will take place at each of our Pac-12 University campuses throughout the academic year.
Student Training Overview
- Gain hands-on, behind-the-camera experience with the guidance of Pac-12 Networks staff
- Learn about television production, safety procedures, communications as well as tour a full production truck
- Establish a network and gain a better understanding of live sports production
- Gain the opportunity to be hired for future events
- Prepare you for a career opportunity in broadcasting
Pac-12 Production Positions for Students
- Red Hat
- Stage Manager
- Camera Operator
- Production Assistant
How To Dress
- Closed toed shoes
- Polo/t-shirt/Pac-12 Network shirt
- No large logos or school affiliations
- Pants or long shorts
- No torn jeans or short shorts
- Welcome & Overview of the Day
- About the Pac-12 Networks
- General Rules, Safety & TV Truck Etiquette
- Who's Who?: UM, EIC & TD, A1, Pro Crew Positions
- Tips for Working with Professionals
- Respect for the Venue/University/Athletes, etc.
- Truck Tour
- Camera Training
- Observation with Professional Crew
- Lunch Provided by Pac-12
- Live Event Set Up & Game Time
If you are interested in signing up for one of our sessions, please click the corresponding link below. Our sessions are pre-scheduled to coincide with an actual live production venue and date, are only offered to Pac-12 University enrolled students and are limited to 25 students per session.
Thank you for your interest – Pac-12 Networks Training Team
Pac-12 Networks Careers
Interested in joining the Pac-12 Networks team? Visit our Jobvite page to see openings in:
- Advertising Sales
- Legal & Business Affairs
- Production & Operations
Check back regularly for new opportunities.