Tennis Starts Off With 8-1 Win Over UCI
Jan. 17, 2001
Los Angeles, Calif. -- 12th-ranked USC women's tennis (1-0) opened the 2001 season with a 8-1 victory over UC Irvine this afternoon (Jan. 17) at Marks Tennis Stadium.
The match was probably most important to sophomore Maureen Diaz who is in her first season at USC after transferring from UC Irvine. Diaz played at the No. 1 position for the Anteaters last season and advanced to the NCAA Singles Championships.
Diaz swept her singles and doubles matches with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Natalie Exon in singles and an 8-1 victory with partner Melissa Esmero in doubles.
USC was forced to put forth a come-from-behind effort after dropping the first match of the afternoon. Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson fell to UCI's Darian Chappell and Jonni Seymour 8-6 at the No. 1 spot. Following the loss, the Women of Troy won the final eight matches for the win.
The Women of Troy will face Long Beach State tomorrow (Jan. 18) at Marks Tennis Stadium at 1:30 p.m.
(1) Chappell/Seymour (UCI) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-6
(2) Diaz/Esmero (USC) def. Exon/Posner (UCI) - 8-1
(3) Bayani/Loyola (USC) def. Tranckino/Kabe (UCI) - 8-4
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Jonni Seymour (UCI) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Darian Chappell (UCI) - 6-0, 6-1
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Natalie Exon (UCI) - 6-0, 6-1
(4) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Nickole Kabe (UCI) - 6-4, 6-2
(5) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Amy Tranckino (UCI) - 6-4, 6-0
(6) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Christie Posner (UCI) - 6-4, 6-0