Men's Tennis Cruises Past Santa Clara, 6-1
Jan. 19, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona State men's tennis team (1-0) opened its 40th-season of tennis with an easy 6-1 victory over Santa Clara (0-1) today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils struck first by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. On the No. 1 doubles court, Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger dispatched Santa Clara's Mike Buggemann and Ryan Livesay, 8-3, while Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann followed with an 8-4 victory over the Broncos' Erich Chen and Matt Cox.
In singles action, on the No. 1 court, Dubey cruised past Cox, dropping only one game 6-0, 6-1. Klinger's match ended shortly after on the No. 2 court with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Livesay. Sun Devil freshmen Olivier Charroin and Eckermann each notched their first career dual wins on the fifth and sixth courts respectively.
Santa Clara's lone win occurred on the No. 4 court where Federico Mattioli defeated Duranovic in three sets, 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.
Up next, Arizona State will host New Mexico State on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Mike Bruggemann/Livesay (SC), 8-3
2. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU) def. Chen/Cox (SC), 8-4
3. Duong/Rick Ruso (SC) def. Duranovic/Van Mele (ASU), 8-5
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) def. Matt Cox (SC), 6-0, 6-1
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Ryan Livesay (SC), 6-2, 6-4
3. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Michael Duong (SC), 6-3, 6-0
4. Frederico Mattioli (SC) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU), 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Erich Chen (SC), 6-3, 6-2
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Victor Camargo (SC), 6-3, 6-4
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive