Men's Tennis Starts 2001 With 6-1 Win Over UNLV
Jan. 19, 2001
Los Angeles, Calif. -- The 13th-ranked USC men's tennis team (1-0) earned its first win of 2001 with a 6-1 victory over UNLV (0-2) this afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
The Trojans began the match by sweeping at the No. 2 and 3 doubles spots for the first point. At No. 1, Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore pulled out the 9-8 (8-6) decision for the third doubles victory.
USC earned its next three points in the middle of the lineup but watched as Andrew Park, Ryan Moore and Parker Collins battled it out in three, three-set matches. The Trojans' only loss came at the No. 2 position as Moore was pushed to another tiebreaker. Despite being up 4-2 in the final set, he eventually fell to UNLV's Nenad Zivkovic 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6).
USC will play one more nonconference opponent before the start of conference play when it hosts BYU on Tuesday, Jan. 23, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Zivkovic/Skorin (UNLV) - 9-8 (8-6)
(2) Park/Spiezo (USC) def. Eisinga/Schneiter (UNLV) - 8-1
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Erez/Pafazoli (UNLV) - 8-2
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Thomas Schneiter (UNLV) - 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
(2) Nenad Zivkovic (UNLV) def. Ryan Moore (USC) - 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
(3) Damien Spiezo (USC) def. Danny Erez (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-4
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Artin Pafazoli (UNLV) - 6-0, 6-3
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Leslie Eisinga (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-3
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Gregor Skorin (UNLV) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive