Swimming In First, Second At 25th Annual Washington Open
Feb. 3, 2001
FEDERAL WAY, Wash. - The University of Washington men and women's swimming teams are currently first and second respectively, in team competition at the 25th annual Washington Open Saturday at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatics Center.
'Today was another great day of preparation,' UW head coach Mickey Wender said. 'Our swimmers are learning a lot and our seniors, who have put in four great years, are continuing to lead us in and out of the pool.'
For the second straight day, the 24th-ranked UW men's team won both of the relays - the 200 medley and the 800 freestyle. The team of Derek Rose (Forest Grove, Ore.), Francis Tam (Santa Clara, Calif.), Justin Adrian (Bremerton, Wash.) and Tim Collins (Vancouver, Wash.), kicked off the day by posting a winning time of 1:32.51, in the 200 medley relay.
Rose, Adrian and Tam then struck again, as the trio placed first through third in the 100 butterfly. Rose, a freshman, earned his first career win with a season-best time of 49.96, as the Huskies placed six swimmers in the top 10.
Another UW freshman Luke Ekhoff (Portland, Ore.) won the 100 breaststroke in 57.84, becoming the third individual to win an event for the Huskies. The 800 freestyle relay team of Tam, Jesse Nitz (Puyallup, Wash.), Josh Hickman (Blaine, Wash.) and David Moilanen (Renton, Wash.) concluded the day with a win in the 800 free relay, coming in with a time of 6:54.88.
On the women's side, freshmen Jennifer Latzen (Folsom, Calif.) and Brittany Reichardt (Gardnerville, Nev.) both posted the top women's individual finishes for the Huskies, placing fourth in the 100 butterfly (58.07) and the 100 breaststroke (1:05.30). The top UW women's relays finished third in the 200 medley (1:50.88) and ninth in the 800 freestyle (7:53.77).
Other highlights in the evening finals included 2000 Olympian Tom Wilkens, who tied his meet record from last year in the 400 individual medley with a first-place time of 3:46.70. Tacoma Swim Club's Dana Kirk also broke the 100-yard butterfly for the second time Saturday, winning the event with a time of 53.87, after posting a time of 54.19 in the prelims.
In the morning preliminaries, local standouts Megan Quann (Puyallup Aquatic Club) and Jamie Reid (Puyallup Aquatic Club) swam meet record times, as Quann, who did not swim during the evening finals, became the first woman in meet history to swim the 100 breaststroke in under one minute (59.89), and Reid broke her own record in the 100 backstroke (55.28). Quann and Reid later returned to swim on the winning 800 free relay with another meet record time of 7:29.47.
The 25th annual Washington Open concludes Sunday with preliminaries beginning at 9:30 a.m., and finals slated to start at 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, February 3, 2001
Event: Women's 200 Medley Relay
1. DeAnza Cupertino Aquatics 1:47.56
3. UW (Harada, Stucka, Latzen, Fanning) 1:50.88
7. UW (Massey, Staubitz, Schneider, Weatherhead) 1:51.80
9. UW (Taggart, Nerison, Hingsbergen, Cheadle) 1:53.54
Event: Men's 200 Medley Relay
1. UW (Rose, Tam, Adrian, Collins) 1:32.51
2. UW (Moilanen, Ekhoff, Oleson, Gorman) 1:35.26
5. UW (Zielke, Millard, Angsioco, Pearson) 1:38.15
Event: Women's 400 Individual Medley
1. Emily Mason, Scottsdale 4:18.92
(No UW swimmers)
Event: Women's 100 Butterfly
1. Dana Kirk, Tacoma Swim Club 53.87
4. Jennifer Latzen, UW 58.07
16. Evelyn Hingsbergen, UW 59.62
Event: Men's 100 Butterfly
1. Derek Rose, UW 49.96
2. Justin Adrian, UW 50.01
3. Francis Tam, UW 50.15
5. James Castner, UW 51.14
8. Don Gorman, UW 51.96
9. Ryan Oleson, UW 50.58
12. Jeff Schmidt, UW 52.48
18. Mark Pearson, UW 52.78
19. Aaron Wilson, UW 52.98
24. Josh Hickman, UW 55.71
Event: Men's 200 Freestyle
1. Thomas Brown, Reno 1:40.86
4. Josh Hickman, UW 1:43.59
7. Jesse Nitz, UW 1:45.72
13. Jeff Schmidt, UW 1:45.61
16. Justin Adrian, UW 1:46.37
18. Matt Zielke, UW 1:45.51
21. John Lyssand, UW 1:47.98
21. Leon Angsioco, UW 1:47.98
Event: Women's 100 Breaststroke
1. Erica Liu, DeAnza 1:03.23
4. Brittany Reichardt, UW 1:05.30
8. Julie Massey, UW 1:08.09
10. Jenny Stucka, UW 1:06.36
16. Irene Schneider, UW 1:09.73
23. Melody Staubitz, UW 1:10.49
Event: Men's 100 Backstroke
1. Scott Young, Greenwood 50.45
4. David Moilanen, UW 51.97
5. Derek Rose, UW 52.17
15. Matt Zielke, UW 54.73
19. Kit Tainter, UW 55.55
22. Ryan Oleson, UW 56.61
23. Mark Pearson, UW 56.65
Event: Women's 800 Freestyle Relay
1. Puyallup (Quann, Rains, Strouse, Reid) 7:29.47
9. UW (Staubitz, Hingsbergen, Bart, Weatherhead) 7:53.77
16. UW (Chealde, Reichardt, Latzen, Massey) 8:08.66
Event: Men's 800 Freestyle Relay
1. UW (Tam, Nitz, Hickman, Moilanen) 6:54.88
3. UW (Adrian, Zielke, Tainter, Schmidt) 7:01.16
4. UW (Castner, Pearson, Collins, Lyssand) 7:03.07
Team Scores After 26 events
1. DeAnza 403.50 pts.
2. UW 332 pts.
Men's1. UW 841 pts.
2. Reno 291 pts.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Fri 8/17 | 5:00pm PTLive