USC Men Claim 5-2 Win Over Fresno State
Feb. 21, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 23 USC men's tennis team (7-1) earned its second-straight victory over 20th-ranked Fresno State (2-1) with a 5-2 win this afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
After upsetting the Bulldogs last season in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, the Trojans worked hard for the win this season.
With two 8-4 decisions at No. 1 and 2 doubles, USC quickly claimed the doubles point and retired the third match. Ahead 1-0, Ryan Moore was the first to add a singles point for the Trojans after FSU's David Mullins retired the match. Following a win at No. 5 by USC's Nick Rainey, the Trojans clinched the match at the third court when Ruben Torres defeated Alex Krohn 6-4, 6-1. Fresno State grabbed it's two points at No. 1 and No. 6 singles as Peter Luczak pushed Andrew Park to a three-set match, and Alex Menichini swept Parker Collins 6-4, 6-1.
The Trojans will take the rest of the week off to prepare for crosstown rival and top-ranked UCLA. USC hosts the Bruins on Wednesday, Feb. 28, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Mullins/Menichini (FSU) - 8-4
(2) Park/Spizzo (USC) def. Cooper/Fustar (FSU) - 8-4
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Krohn/Luczak (FSU) - 5-4, retired
(1) Peter Luczak (FSU) def. Andrew Park (USC) - 6-4, 1-6, 8-6
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. David Mullins (FSU) - 2-0, retired
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Sean Cooper (FSU) - 6-3, 7-5
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Nick Fustar (FSU) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Alex Krohn (FSU) - 6-0, 6-3
(6) Alex Menichini (FSU) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive