Men's Basketball Hosts Arizona in Season-Finale
March 9, 2001
* Cal closes out the regular season at home Saturday when the Bears host No. 8 Arizona. The last time Cal and UA played on the final day in the Bay Area, the Bears won, 79-77, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on March 8, 1997. Cal went on to reach the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, while Arizona claimed the national title.
* With a 20-9 overall record, Cal has reached 20 wins for the third time in five years under head coach Ben Braun. The Bears last won 20 games in 1999 when they finished 22-11 and captured the NIT championship. In 1997, Cal completed a run to the Sweet 16 with a 23-9 record.
* Cal swept five Pac-10 opponents this year (Arizona State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) for the first time since 1990.
* Lampley continues to lead the Pac-10 in scoring with 19.5 ppg and he has been named the Pac-10 Player of the Year by The Sporting News and to the collegeinsider.com All-America team. Cal's all-time leading scorer with 1,736 points, Lampley is the only player in school history to rank among Cal's career Top 10 in points (1st), rebounds (4th, 876) and assists (10th, 287).
* Brian Wethers soared to a career-high 27 points vs. Arizona State Thursday. He made 10-of-13 shots from the floor, including 5-of-6 three-pointers. Wethers, who had 18 points at USC last Saturday, has connected on 16 of his last 22 shots overall (72.7%) and 8-of-10 from behind the three-point arc (80.0%).
* Point guard Shantay Legans just missed a career high when he had 10 assists vs. ASU. Legans had 11 assists in the season-opener against Mississippi State. For the year, he has moved into 10th place on Cal's season list with 139 assists. At home, Legans has 98 assists (6.2 apg) and just 26 turnovers.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive