Trojans Defeat 24th-Ranked Sun Devils, 4-3
March 10, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 21 USC men's tennis team defeated No. 24 Arizona State, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 9-2 overall, while the Sun Devils drop to 7-5.
The Trojans fought hard for the win in what became a tight battle between these two teams. USC began the afternoon with an easy victory at No. 1 doubles, but dropped the No. 2 match to leave the doubles point in the hands of USC's Ruben Torres and Parker Collins. Collins and Torres came back from being down 7-3 to ASU's Nicolas Dubey and Olivier Charroin to earn a 9-8 win in the tiebreaker and put the Trojans on the board first.
In singles play, USC and Arizona State alternated victories, while the Trojans were forced to rely on another come-from-behind effort. At court five, Nick Rainey dropped his first set, 6-1, to the Sun Devils' Olivier Charroin but returned to claim 6-3, 6-3 wins in the second and third sets for the victory. The win clinched the match for the Trojans.
USC will next face Utah on Tuesday, March 13, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC 4, Arizona State 3
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) - 8-4
(2) Van Mele/Eckermann (ASU) def. Park/Spizzo (USC) - 8-4
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Charroin/Dubey (ASU) - 9-8 (7-2)
USC wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Nicolas Dubey (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3
(2) Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Damien Spizzo (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
(3) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) - 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
(4) Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
(5) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU) - 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
(6) Jared Eckermann (ASU) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-2, 6-3