Washington Tracksters Bring Home Team Titles from Tacoma.
March 10, 2001
TACOMA, Wash. -- The Washington men's and women's track teams set seven Salzman Invitational meet records, qualified five new individuals to the Pac-10 championship meet and brought home the overall team titles, Saturday.
Senior Chelsie Pentz (Kitsap, Wash.) and MerryJane Bendico (Lynnwood, Wash.) both set new Salzman Invitational meet records in their respective events. Pentz broke the 100 and 200-meter dash records with times of 12.17 and 24.59 respectively, while Bendico set a new pole vault record clearing a height of 11-5 3/4. The Husky 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams also set meet records.
Pentz (200m) and Bendico (pole vault) along with senior Anna Aoki (Vancouver, Wash.) in the 1500-meter run reached Pac-10 qualifying standards en route to leading the Washington women to the overall team title by over 100 points. The UW women scored 288 points to win the team title, followed by Seattle Pacific who tallied 186.
On the men's side, freshman Brad Goodrich (Maple Valley, Wash.) and senior Sean Steele(Orting, Wash.) set new Salzman Invitational meet marks. Goodrich broke the 400-meter hurdles record and qualified for the Pac-10 championships with a time of 52.89, while Steele raised the bar in the high jump to 7-0 1/4. Steele improved his previous Pac-10 qualifying mark with the clearance.
Junior Marcus Kelly (Seattle, Wash.) reached the Pac-10 qualifying mark in the triple jump with a leap of 48-3 1/4, while helping the Husky men to the men's team title.
The UW men recorded a team score of 181.5. Central Washington was the Huskies' closest competitor with 134.
The Huskies will be in action again next Saturday, March 17 at the Cal Quad Meet in Berkeley, Calif.
UW Event Winners
Salzman Invitational, Tacoma, Wash.
1. Chelsie Pentz 100m dash 12.17
1. Chelsie Pentz 200m dash 24.59
1. Arlene Bledsoe 400m dash 57.18
1. Liza English 3,000m run 10:26.85
1. 4x100-meter relay team 46.98
1. 4x400-meter relay team 3:45.65
1. MerryJane Bendico Pole vault 11-5 3/4
1. Zee Ogarro Long jump 18-5 1/4
1. Searan Salibian Shot put 39-11 1/2
1. Kameko Gay Hammer 154-0
1. Megan Spriestersbach Javelin 132-2
1. Morgan Thompson 1,500m 3:59.11
1. Dustin Duke 3,000m 8:30.94
1. Marc James 110m Hurd. 14.81
1. Brad Goodrich 400m Hurd. 52.89
1. Eric Garner Steeplechase 9:18.05
1. 4x400-meter relay team 3:20.28
1. Sean Steele High jump 7-0 1/4
1. Marcus Kelly Triple jump 48-3 1/4
1. Doug Jackson Shot put 48-0 3/4
1. Seth Jens Javelin 187-9