Women's Tennis Earns 6-1 Victory Over Miami
March 11, 2001
LOS ANGELES -- The 12th-ranked USC women's tennis team easily defeated No. 38 Miami, 6-1, in a nonconference match Sunday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 11-3 overall, while the Hurricanes drop to 8-4.
USC won the doubles point thanks to a 9-8 victory at center court. At No. 1 Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson took Miami's Katia Bogomolova and Alanna Broderick to a tiebreaker, then defeated the pair 10-8 in the extra set for the match.
In singles, four two-set victories clinched the match for the Trojans despite a loss at No. 4 when Miami's Marcy Hora defeated Bernadette Bayani 6-4, 7-5. The Women of Troy completed the afternoon with a three-set victory by Melissa Esmero at the sixth court 6-1, 6-7, 6-2.
The three-hour, 45-minute match was a stark contrast to the last meeting between these two teams. In 1999, USC advanced the NCAA Championship Round of 16 after defeating the Canes 5-4 in a match that lasted nearly eight hours and did not come to an end until 3:30 a.m.
This week, USC travels to Arizona and Arizona State on March 16 and 17.
USC 6, Miami 1
(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Bogomolova/Broderick (Miami) - 9-8 (10-8)
(2) Hora/Scaglione (Miami) def. Esmero/Loyola (USC) - 9-7
(3) Diaz/Bayani (USC) def. Bennacer/Hafner (Miami) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Alanna Broderick (Miami) - 6-2, 6-2
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Bettina Hafner (Miami) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Katia Bogomolova (Miami) - 7-6, 6-1
(4) Marcy Hora (Miami) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-4, 7-5
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Sihem Bennacer (Miami) - 6-1, 7-6
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Lauren Scaglione (Miami) - 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive