Women's Tennis Goes 2-0 in San Diego
March 14, 2001
SAN DIEGO, Calif.- The No. 47 Cougars defeated the No. 57 Toreros of the University of San Diego (USD) for the first time in the program's history, Wednesday, in a dual hosted by the Toreros in San Diego. The Cougars took home their third straight victory as they defeated the Toreros 4-3.
The Cougs grabbed two of the three doubles victories, as well as the doubles point, giving them a 1-0 lead going into singles competition.
Senior Ana Moura and partner Stacy McKenna continued to dominate the doubles courts for the Cougs as they defeated USD's Stacie Lee and Paola Arrangoiz 8-0 at the No. 2 doubles position. Senior Moniek van de Ven and her partner freshman Lorena Arias also picked up a win for the Cougars as they defeated USD's Catherine Heppell and Belinda Kelly 8-5 at the No. 3 doubles position.
The Cougars went on to split the singles competition, and took the match 4-3.
Junior Erica Perkins picked up a quick victory for the Cougars at the No. 1 position after USD's Katarina Valkyova defaulted in the first set. McKenna grabbed another point for the Cougs as she defeated USD's Paola Arrangoiz 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 4 position. .Moura clenched the match the Cougs as she downed USD's Belinda Kelly 7-6, 6-3 at the No. 3 position.
'We are glad to finally get a win over San Diego,' head coach Cari Groce said. 'They are a tough team, but we definitely wanted it more today. The team is coming together very well, and they have worked very hard to get to this point. After playing two great matches in San Diego, the team deserves a break.'
The Cougars, now 8-5, will have a week to enjoy their victories, and will return to action return to action Saturday, March 31 as they face the Oregon Ducks in Eugene.
(47) Washington State - 4 (57) San Diego - 3
1. Erica Perkins (WSU) def. Katarina Valkyova (USD) Default
2. Heather Polumbus (USD) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ana Moura (WSU) def. Belinda Kelly (USD) 7-6 (4), 6-3
4. Stacy McKenna (WSU) def. Paola Arrangoiz (USD) 6-0, 6-1
5. Krista Manning (USD) def. Tamara Filipovic (WSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Catherine Heppell (USD) def. Moniek van de Ven (WSU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Polumbus/Manning (USD) def. Perkins/Filipovic (WSU) 8-5
2. Moura/McKenna (WSU) def. Lee/Arrangoiz (USD) 8-0
3. van de Ven/Arias (WSU) def. Heppell/Kelly (USD) 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive