Tenth-Ranked Women's Tennis Burns Bruins of UCLA, 6-1
March 16, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - The tenth-ranked Arizona State (11-3, 4-3) women's tennis team defeated the No. 37 UCLA Bruins (3-10, 2-1) today at the Whiteman Tennis Center, 6-1, for its ninth straight home win.
In doubles play, ASU earned its team point by stealing two of the three matches. No. 28-ranked Adria Engel/Karin Palme tandem defeated UCLA's Sara Walker/Mariko Fritz-Krockow combo, 8-4, on the No. 2 court. On the No. 3 court, ASU's Cindy Sureephong/Megan Yeats combo improved to 13-1 in dual action as they defeated the Bruins' Jennifer Donahue and Catherine Hawley, 8-2. ASU's Celena McCoury and Mhairi Brown made an impressive effort at coming back to victory on the No. 1 court, but were defeated by UCLA's No. 16 duo Lauren Fisher and Petya Marinova, 8-3.
In singles action, ASU got help from freshman Cindy Sureephong, who improved her Pac-10 dual record to 6-1 by defeating UCLA's Jennifer Donahue, 6-4, 6-1. ASU sophomore Mhairi Brown notched her 20th win of the season with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Mariko Fritz-Krockow on the No. 5 court, and No. 47-ranked Megan Yeats endured a tiresome tie-breaking match to beat Petya Marinova on the No. 3 court. ASU's Adria Engel, ranked No. 12 in the nation in singles, won the showdown on the No. 1 court with UCLA's No. 14 Sara Walker, defeating the Bruin, 7-6, 6-4.
The Devils will host the No. 12 Trojans of USC on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. (MST) at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe.
DOUBLES:1. (16) Fisher/Marinova (UCLA) def. Brown/McCoury (ASU), 8-3
2. (28) Palme/Engel (ASU) def. Walker/Fritz-Krockow (UCLA), 8-4
3. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) def. Donahue/Hawley (UCLA), 8-2
SINGLES:1. (12) Adria Engel (ASU) def. (14) Sara Walker (UCLA), 7-6, 6-4
2. Catherine Hawley (UCLA) def. Karin Palme (ASU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. (47) Megan Yeats (ASU) def. (69) Petya Marinova (UCLA), 4-6, 7-6(6), 16-14 (TB)
4. Faye DeVera (ASU) def. Lauren Fisher (UCLA), 6-2, 6-2
5. Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Mariko Fritz-Krockow (UCLA), 6-3, 6-1
6. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Jennifer Donahue (UCLA), 6-4, 6-1