No. 21 Men's Tennis Upset By San Diego, 4-3
March 19, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The 21st-ranked Arizona State men's tennis team (7-6, 2-1 Pac-10) was upset by the University of San Diego (7-5), 4-3, today under sunny and hot conditions at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Toreros took the early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. The Sun Devils claimed the first match on the No. 1 court where Nic Dubey and Matt Klinger defeated Juan Cerda and Ricardo Rizo, 8-4.
But, USD quickly followed up with an 8-2 win on the No. 2 court where Jason Pongsrikul and Mattias Tangefjord defeated Jarrod Eckermann and Pim Van Mele, 8-2. The one point came down to an exciting match on the No. 3 court. After breaking each other's serve late in the match, USD's Ross Bourne and Stephen Taylor finally prevailed with a 9-7 win over Mitchell Bowen and Olivier Charroin.
In singles action, the two teams split the six matches. ASU went up 2-1 with straight set victories on the fifth and sixth courts. USD came back and tied the dual with its own straight sets victory on the fourth court.
The last three matches on the first, second and third courts all went to three sets with the Toreros claiming two of the three. ASU won on the No. 2 court where Klinger defeated Certa, 7-6, 6-7, 6-2, but USD Tangefjord clinched the dual on the No. 1 court with a 7-6, 2-6, 6-4 win over Dubey.
Up next, Arizona State will host Auburn on Saturday, March 24 at Noon.
1. Dubey/Klinger (ASU) def. Cerda/Rizo (USD), 8-4
2. Pongsrikul/Tangefjord (USD) def. Eckermann/Van Mele (ASU). 8-2
3. Bourne/Taylor (USD) def. Mitchell Bowen/Charroin (ASU), 9-7
1. Mattias Tangefjord (USD) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 7-6, 2-6, 6-4
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Juan Cerda (USD), 7-5, 6-7, 6-2
3. Ricardo Rizo (USD) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
4. Ross Bourne (USD) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Jason Pongsrikul (USD), 6-2, 6-2
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Stephen Taylor (USD), 6-4, 6-3