Men's Tennis Upsets No. 12 Auburn, 4-3
March 24, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Behind four consecutive singles wins, the Arizona State men's tennis team (8-6, 2-1 Pac-10) upset 12th-ranked Auburn University (7-2, 2-1 SEC), 4-3, today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
Arizona State fell behind 0-2 in the dual before stringing together four singles wins on the No. 2, 4, 5 and 6 courts to claim its largest upset over a ranked opponent since ASU knocked off fifth-ranked UCLA, 4-3, in 1999.
Auburn gained the early edge by claiming two of the three doubles matches for the first point. Auburn's duo of Rameez Junaid and Mark Kovacs won the first doubles match on the No. 2 court as they defeated ASU's Jarrod Eckerman and Pim Van Mele, 8-3.
Auburn cliched the doubles point on the No. 1 court as the nation's fourth-ranked team of George Matijasevic and Tiago Ruffoni defeated Nic Dubey and Matt Klinger, 8-5
In single play, Auburn claimed the second point on the No. 3 court where Junaid defeated Van Mele in straight sets. However, the Sun Devils stormed back and won on the second and sixth courts to tie the dual a two apiece.
ASU took the lead on the fifth court when Charroin came back from a set down to defeat Strecker, 4-6, 6-3, 6-0. Mirza Duranovic then claimed the dual and ASU's fourth singles win on the No. 4 court where he also came back from a set down to defeat Kovacs, 3-6, 6-2, 6-0.
Auburn earned their third point on the No. 1 court when Matijasevic defeated Dubey also in the three sets, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
Up next, the Sun Devils will jump back into Pac-10 action as they host California on Friday, March 30 at 1:30 p.m.
1. (4) Matijasevic/Ruffoni (AU) def. Dubey/Klinger (ASU), 8-5
2. Junaid/Kovacs (AU) def. Eckermann/Van Mele (ASU), 8-3
3. Mitchell Bowen/Charroin (ASU) def. Strecker/Tukans (AU), 8-5
1. George Matijasevic (AU) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Tiago Ruffoni (AU), 7-6 (4), 7-5
3. Rameez Junaid (AU) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-3, 6-0
4. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Mark Kovacs (AU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Estevam Strecker (AU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Raitis Tukans (AU), 7-6 (2), 7-6 (1)