UW Men's Tennis Defeats Gonzaga for Ninth-Straight Win
March 30, 2001
SEATTLE, Wash. - The eighth-ranked University of Washington men's tennis team defeated Gonzaga, 6-1 in play this afternoon. The Huskies have now won nine matches in a row and have defeated the Bulldogs four times in series history.
Washington won the doubles point as all three Washington duos claimed 8-2 victories over Gonzaga. The No. 1 duo of Jeremy Berman/Andy Posavac, the No. 2 team of Dillon Ruby/Ari Strasberg and the No. 3 pair of Andrej Bizjak and Matt Leon all defeated their respective Bulldog opponents.
In singles play, Washington earned victories in the No. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 positions. Matt Hanlin defeated Timo Berry in the No. 1 spot, 6-1, 6-1. Berman topped Joe Zavaglia in the No. 3 position, boosting his record to 6-1 when playing in the third spot. Marius Lunde rolled past Joel Wilkie in the No. 4 match-up, while Ruby defeated Shaun Whitney at the five spot. Leon finished out the singles victories, posting a 6-0, 6-0 win over Alex Kull. Posavac dropped to 12-3 on the season after a three-set loss to Eduardo Kohlberg in the No. 2 position.
The Huskies will face Loyola Marymount tomorrow at 2 p.m. at the Bill Quillian Stadium in Seattle, weather permitting.
1. Matt Hanlin (UW) d. Timo Barry (GU) (6-1, 6-1)
2. Eduardo Kohlberg (GU) d. Andy Posavac (UW) (6-3, 3-6, 6-0)
3. Jeremy Berman (UW) d. Joe Zavaglia (GU) (6-2, 7-5)
4. Marius Lunde (UW) d. Joel Wilkie (GU) (6-1, 6-1)
5. Dillon Ruby (UW) d. Shaun Whitney (GU) (6-2, 6-2)
6. Matt Leon (UW) d. Alex Kull (GU) (6-0, 6-0)
1. Berman/Posavac (UW) d. Kohlberg/Zavaglia (GU) (8-2)
2. Ruby/Strasberg (UW) d. Barry/Whitney (GU) (8-2)
3. Bizjak/Leon (UW) d. Wilkie/McConnell (GU) (8-2)