Women's Tennis Downs UCLA, 6-1
March 30, 2001
LOS ANGELES - The 18th-ranked USC women's tennis team handed the 29th-ranked UCLA Bruins their first conference loss of the season by defeating them, 6-1, this afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 13-5 overall, 2-1 in the Pac-10. The loss drops the Bruins to 5-11 overall, 2-1 in the Pac-10.
For the fifth time this season, USC won all three doubles matches to enter singles play with a 1-0 lead. Melissa Esmero and Bernadette Bayani each quickly added two points for the Trojans with straight-set victories over UCLA's Chelsea Godbey and Jennifer Donahue. Now leading 3-0, the Women of Troy needed only one more point to secure the win. That point was soon provided by Maureen Diaz, who defeated Lauren Fisher, 6-1, 6-4.
With the match in hand, USC's Anita Loyola and Jewel Peterson added two more points for the Trojans. UCLA's Mariko Fritz-Krockow helped her team avoid being swept by defeating USC's Tiffany Brymer, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Women of Troy next take the court in Berkeley where they will play Cal on Friday (April 6) at 1:30 p.m.
USC 6, UCLA 1
Doubles(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Fisher/Marinova (UCLA) - 8-6
(2) Esmero/Loyola (USC) def. Fritz-Krockow/Zlebnik (UCLA) - 9-7
(3) Bayani/Diaz (USC) def. Donahue/Hawley (UCLA) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Catherine Hawley (UCLA) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Petya Marinova (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Lauren Fisher (UCLA) - 6-1, 6-4
(4) Mariko Fritz-Krockow (UCLA) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Jennifer Donahue (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Chelsea Godbey (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-0
Wed 9/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive