Husky Tracksters Fall to Washington State in Dual Meet.
April 7, 2001
PULLMAN, Wash. -- The Huskies traveled east to Pullman for the annual cross-state dual and just couldn't come up with enough points to top the Cougars, Saturday.
Seniors David Bazzi (Seattle, Wash./O'Dea) and Sean Steele (Orting, Wash.) along with sophomore Brad Walker (Spokane, Wash.) won their respective events for theHuskies. Bazzi took the 1500-meter run, while Steele captured a win in the high jump and Walker won the pole vault.
The UW squad was without the services of senior Ja'Warren Hooker (Ellensburg, Wash.), who took the weekend off from competition, but one bright spot was sophomore jumper Kevin deSouza's (Oshawa, Ontario) return to action.
On the women's side, sophomores Megan Spriestersbach (Tacoma, Wash.) and Kate Bradshaw (Issaquah, Wash.) along with senior Anna Aoki (Vancouver, Wash.) and junior Kelsey Sheppard (Kirkland, Wash.), all NCAA qualifiers, claimed event titles for Washington. Spriestersbach won the javelin, while Bradshaw clocked the winning time in the 5,000-meter run. Aoki took the 1500m, while Sheppard walked away with a win in the 400-meter hurdles.
Another bright spot for the Husky women was the addition of junior Heather Reichmann (Seattle, Wash./ Kings) in the javelin throw. Reichmann, a member of the UW elite eight women's basketball team and a three-time state champion in the javelin, placed second in the event to Spriestersbach at the WSU dual, with a toss of 142-3 in her first effort of the 2001 season.
The final scores on the men's side were WSU 111, Washington 52. The Washington State women topped UW, 114.5 to 43.5.
Next up, the UW tracksters will face off against the Oregon Ducks in a dual meet in Eugene, Saturday. Competition begins at 11 a.m. at Hayward Field.
Husky Top Finishers
Washington State Dual, Pullman, Wash.
1. Megan Spriestersbach Javelin 147-4
1. Anna Aoki 1500m 4:41.50
1. Kelsey Sheppard 400 hurdles 59.17
1. Kate Bradshaw 5000m 17:34.43
2. Heather Reichmann Javelin 142-8
2. Gillian Palmer 1500m 4:44.64
2. Brittiny Roberts Triple jump 38-1 1/2
2. Chelsie Pentz 400m 56.04
2. Kate Spigel Steeplechase 11:36.0h
2. Chelsie Pentz 200m 25.19
2. 4x100-meter relay team 46.79
Ogarro, Smith, T. Moore, Pentz
1. David Bazzi 1500m 3:54.49
1. Sean Steele High jump 6-10 3/4
1. Brad Walker Pole Vault 16-4 3/4
2. Kevin deSouza Long jump 21-10 1/4
2. Marcus Kelly Triple jump 48-8 3/4
2. Joel Perry High jump 6-8 3/4
2. Jason Fayant 1500m 3:55.30
2. Cristian Adams 400m 48.74
2. D'Andrae Alexander 100m 10.98
2. Brad Goodrich 400 hurdles 53.38
2. D'Andrae Alexander 200m 22.47
2. Seth Jens Javelin 188-1
2. Dustin Duke 800m 1:57.68
2. Mike Hill Steeplechase 9:17.27
2. 4x100-meter relay team 42.79
Alexander, James, Rogge, Goodrich
2. 4x400-meter relay team 3:18.33
Adams, Goodrich, Graham, Rogge
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive