Women of Troy Fall To Top-Ranked Stanford
April 7, 2001
Stanford, Calif. -- The top-ranked Stanford (18-0) women's tennis team recorded a 7-0 win over 16th-ranked USC (14-6) on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. It is the Trojans' second 7-0 loss to the Cardinal this season after facing Stanford in the quarterfinals of the National Team Indoor Championships on February 16 in Madison, Wisconsin.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches to capture the first point of the dual. The Cardinal then captured four of the six singles matches in straight sets to ensure the afternoon victory.
At the fourth and sixth courts it was USC's Tiffany Brymer and Melissa Esmero who managed to push Lauren Barnikow and Emilia Anderson to a third set. After each dropped their the first set, Brymer and Esmero came back with convincing victories in the second, 7-6 and 6-0, respectively. But the Cardinal proved too tough and held on to complete the sweep.
The USC-Stanford match does not count against Pac-10 records. The Women of Troy next travel to Washington and Washington State on April 13 and 14 for two conference-counting matches.
Stanford 7, USC 0
(1) Barnikow/Kalvaria (Stan) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-3
(2) Granville/Lastra (Stan) def. Esmero/Loyola (USC) - 8-6
(3) Pestieau/Tokuda (Stan) def. Bayani/Diaz (USC) - 8-4
Stanford wins doubles point.
(1) Laura Granville (Stan) def. Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-2, 6-3
(2) Lauren Kalvaria (Stan) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
(3) Gabriela Lastra (Stan) def. Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-3 6-7, 6-3
(5) Keiko Tokuda (Stan) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(6) Emilia Anderson (Stan) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-4, 0-6, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive