Cal Men Fall to No. 1 UCLA, 5-2
April 7, 2001
LOS ANGELES, CA - The top-ranked UCLA Bruins tennis bounced back from yesterday's heartbreaking loss to defeat California, 5-2, Saturday, April 7, at the LA Tennis Center. The match was delayed for over two hours due to rain showers. The Bruins improve to 16-1, (4-1 Pac-10), while California falls to 10-6 (2-2 Pac-10) with the loss.
UCLA got out to a quick start as the Bruins swept all the doubles matches to claim the first point of the match. Freshman Tobias Clemens, who has been inactive due to an ankle injury, returned to the starting lineup teaming with Jean-Noel Grinda to defeat Cal's Robert Kowalczyk and John Paul Fruttero, 8-3.
In singles, Marcin Matkowski got the Bruins next point after defeating Balazs Veress on court No. 2 in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. The Bruins never looked back at that point and took three of the next four matches. On court No. 4, Cal's Kowalczyk retired in the second set trailing UCLA's Lassi Ketola, 4-2. Erfan Djahangiri clinched the victory for UCLA on court No. 3 as he downed Scott Kintz, 6-3, 6-3.
(1) Rettenmaier/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Barnes/Kintz (California) - 8-5
(2) Grinda/Clemens (UCLA) def. Kowalczyk/Fruttero (California) - 8-3
(3) Djahangiri/Ketola (UCLA) def. Veress/Miles (California) - 8-6
(1) John Paul Fruttero (California) def. Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA)- 7-5, 6-2
(2) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Balazs Veress (California) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Scott Kintz (California) - 6-3, 6-3
(4) Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Robert Kowalczyk (California) - 7-5, 4-2 (retired)
(5) Travis Rettenmaier (UCLA) def. Ben Miles (California)- 6-2, 6-2
(6) Erik Dmytruk (California) def. Chris Sands (UCLA)- 7-5, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Sat 12/14 | 1:00pm PTLive
Sat 12/14 | 3:00pm PTLive