Men's Tennis Claims 6-1 Victory Over Oregon
April 13, 2001
Los Angeles -- Despite being shorthanded, the No. 21 USC men's tennis team claimed a 6-1 victory over unranked Oregon Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 12-6 overall and 2-4 in the Pac-10, while Oregon drops to 8-12 overall, 0-6 in conference play.
Playing without Andrew Park (ankle sprain), USC mixed up its usual doubles pairs and still managed to sweep all three matches and claim the first point. Nick Rainey and Damien Spizzo teamed to defeat David Becker and Buck Mink at No. 1, while Ryan Moore and Ruben Torres took care of Oded Teig and Martin Pawlowski on the second court.
In singles play, Spizzo was the first off the court with a 6-3, 6-0 decision over Pawlowski at No. 2. He was followed by Moore, Torres and Rainey who each finished with two set victories to clinch the match victory for the Trojans. Parker Collins fought through a third-set 10-point tiebreaker against Oregon's Greg Dubourdieu at court five for a 7-6, 4-6, 10-3 win and USC's final point of the afternoon.
Oregon's lone victory came at the No. 6 spot as Jason Menke swept USC's Garrett Wong 6-1, 6-2.
The Trojans will next face 13th-ranked Washington tomorrow, April 14, at Noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC 6, Oregon 1
(1) Rainey/Spizzo (USC) def. Becker/Mink (UO) - 9-8
(2) Moore/Torres (USC) def. Teig/Pawlowski (UO) - 8-3
(3) Collins/Scott Merryman (USC) def. Menke/Chris King (UO) - 8-5USC wins doubles point.
(1) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Oded Teig (UO) - 6-1, 6-3
(2) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Martin Pawlowski (UO) - 6-3, 6-0
(3) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Buck Mink (UO) - 6-0, 7-6
(4) Ruben Torres USC) def. David Becker (UO) - 6-2, 6-4
(5) Parker Collins (USC) def. Greg Dubourdieu (UO) - 7-6, 4-6, 10-3
(6) Jason Menke (UO) def. Garrett Wong (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/20 | 6:00pm PTLive