Women's Tennis Nearly Upends No. 34 Tulsa, Loses 4-3
April 13, 2001
TULSA, Okla. - Despite three straight-set singles victories Friday, the University of Oregon women's tennis team lost 4-3 to No. 34-ranked Tulsa at the Harwell Tennis Courts.
Junior Janice Nyland defeated Tulsa's Blanca Posada 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. The Ducks also picked up wins from freshmen Davina Mendiburu and Courtney Nagle. Mendiburu beat Jana Sedivec 6-3, 6-4, recording her seventh straight win, while Nagle topped Marjolein van Dongen 6-2, 7-5.
'We had two very good wins from our freshmen,' fifth-year Oregon coach Jack Griffin said. 'We fought hard but have been coming up short in the 4-3 matches.'
The Hurricane (12-6) won the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Mendiburu and Nyland nearly upset the 49th-ranked duo of Jennifer DeSpain and Jana Sedivec, but lost 9-7. Oregon's 33rd-ranked tandem of Nagle and Monika Gieczys were narrowly defeated 9-8 by Tulsa's van Dongen and Alexsandra Durska.
The Ducks (4-14) lost their fifth 4-3 dual match this spring. Four of the close losses have been against nationally-ranked opponents.
Oregon next plays at No. 26 TCU at Forth Worth, Texas, Saturday at 11:30 a.m. PST.
No. 34 Tulsa 4, Oregon 3
1. Janice Nyland (UO) def. Blanca Posada (UT), 6-2, 6-1
2. Aleksandra Durska (UT) def. Jeanette Mattsson (UO), 6-3, 6-4
3. Jennifer DeSpain (UT) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-2, 6-2
4. Davina Mendiburu (UO) def. Jana Sedivec (UT), 6-3, 6-4
5. Courtney Nagle (UO) def. Marjolein van Dongen (UT), 6-2, 7-5
6. Mariana Barrios (UT) def. Vickie Gunnarsson (UO), 6-1, 6-4
1. #49 DeSpain/Sedivec (UT) def. Mendiburu/Nyland (UO), 9-7
2. Durska/Van Dongen (UT) def. #33 Gieczys/Nagle (UO), 9-8
3. Posada/Barrios (UT) def. Arnaud/Mattsson (UO) 8-3