Ducks Overpower Washington Tracksters in Annual Dual Meet
April 14, 2001
EUGENE, Ore. -- A trip to Eugene, Ore., brought the Husky track teams some Pac-10 qualifying marks, but the Ducks won the dual meet titles in the annul dual meet Saturday.
The upperclassmen on the squad earned the Husky women many of their nine event titles led by senior Chelsie Pentz (Silverdale, Wash.) and junior Kelsey Sheppard (Kirkland, Wash.), who each won two events. Pentz took the 200 and 400-meter dash titles, while Sheppard won the 100- and 400-meter hurdle events.
Sophomore Jamara Smith (Oakland, Calif.) won the 100m dash in a Pac-10 qualifying mark of 11.87. Senior Anna Aoki (Vancouver, Wash.) nabbed the 3000-meter run title, while red-shirt freshman Brittiny Roberts (Fresno, Calif.) earned the triple jump title.
Junior Heather Reichmann (Seattle, Wash./ Kings) recorded a Pac-10 qualifying mark in the javelin throw and Sheppard clocked a Pac-10 qualifying time in the 100m hurdles.
Everyone from freshmen to seniors contributed to the UW men's efforts against the Ducks, as the Huskies won nine events, but still finished behind Oregon by 12 points.
Seniors David Bazzi (Seattle, Wash./O'Dea) and Ja'Warren Hooker (Ellensburg, Wash.) along with juniors Mike Hill (Bellevue, Wash.) and Marcus Kelly (Seattle, Wash./Garfield), sophomore Brad Walker (Spokane, Wash.), and freshman Ryan Graham (Denver, Colo.) won their respective events for the Huskies. Bazzi took the 1500m and 3000m, while Hooker captured the 100m and 200m titles. Hill and Kelly won the steeplechase and triple jump titles respectively, while Walker and Graham took the pole vault and 400m dash.
The final scores on the men's side were Oregon 87, Washington 75. The Duck women topped the UW women, 88 to 65.
Next week, the UW tracksters will split forces. Some athletes will go to the Mt. Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif. The rest of the squad will compete at the Eastern Washington Invite in Cheney, Wash.
Husky Top FinishersOregon Dual, Eugene, Ore.
1. Jamara Smith 100m 11.87
1. Chelsie Pentz 200m 24.68
1. Chelsie Pentz 400m 55.62
1. Anna Aoki 3000m 9:46.21
1. Kelsey Sheppard 100m hurdles 14.13
1. Kelsey Sheppard 400m hurdles 59.22
1. Brittiny Roberts Triple jump 37-3
1. 4x100-meter relay team 46.61
1. 4x400-meter relay team 3:48.24
2. Zee Ogarro 100m 12.25
2. Jamara Smith 200m 24.95
2. Anna Aoki 1500m 4:37.79
2. Zee Ogarro Long jump 18-11 3/4
2. Searan Salibian Shot put 43-0 1/2
1. Ja'Warren Hooker 100m 10.32
1. Ja'Warren Hooker 200m 20.82w
1. Ryan Graham 400m 48.95
1. David Bazzi 1500m 3:55.36
1. David Bazzi 3000m 8:19.59
1. Mike Hill Steeplechase 9:10.05
1. 4x100-meter relay team 41.54
1. Brad Walker Pole vault 17-2 3/4
1. Marcus Kelly Triple jump 50-2 3/4
2. D'Andrae Alexander 100m 10.83
2. Cristian Adams 400m 48.96
2. Dustin Duke 1500m 3:55.50
2. Jason Fayant 3000m 8:20.39
2. Brad Goodrich 400m Hurdles 52.77
2. Morgan Thompson Steeplechase 9:39.65
2. 4x400-meter relay team 3:19.56
2. Sean Steele High jump 6-10 3/4
2. Mat Schwinn Discus 167-8
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive