No. 1 UCLA Too Much For Men's Tennis
April 14, 2001
LOS ANGELES -- The University of Oregon men's tennis team suffered a 7-0 setback at the hands of No. 1 UCLA Saturday. With the loss, the Ducks fall to 8-12 on the season (0-6 Pac-10), while UCLA improves to 19-1 (6-1 Pac-10).
The Oregon tandem of David Becker and Mink were on the losing end of a close 8-6 match against UCLA's Travis Rettenmaier and Marcin Matkowski.
'We got a slow start in doubles,' said Oregon coach Chris Russell. 'And in singles, we played pretty well in the first sets, but kind of fell off after that.'
Oregon will face No. 13 Washington in Seattle on April 21 at 1 p.m.
No. 1 UCLA 7, Oregon 0
1. Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) def. Oded Teig (UO), 6-1, 6-1
2. Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. Buck Mink (UO), 7-6, 6-2
3. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. David Becker (UO), 6-3, 6-2
4. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Greg Dubourdieu (UO), 7-6, 6-0
5. Travis Rettenmaier (UCLA) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-3, 6-3
6. Chris Sames (UCLA) def. Chris King (UO), 6-4, 6-0
1. Rettenmaier/Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Becker/Mink (UO), 8-6
2. Grinda/Clemens (UCLA) def. Teig/Mink (UO), 8-3
3. Djahangiri/Ketola (UCLA) def. Dubourdieu/Chris King (UO), 8-2