Women's Tennis Almost Pulls Off Upset vs. No. 26 TCU, Loses 4-3
April 14, 2001
FORT WORTH, Texas - The University of Oregon women's tennis team proved again it could compete with the nation's best, but found itself dropping a 4-3 match Saturday to No. 26-ranked TCU at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
The Horned Frogs, who won their 13th in a row, improved to 16-3 on the season. Meanwhile, the Ducks lost their sixth 4-3 dual match this spring and fell to 4-15 overall. Five of those close losses have been against nationally-ranked opponents.
Oregon freshman Davina Mendiburu increased her singles winning streak to seven matches with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 victory over Rosa Perez at the No. 3 slot. It was just the second time this year Mendiburu played at No. 3. The Ducks' other freshman standout, Courtney Nagle, also scored a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Saber Pierce at No. 5 singles.
'We had great performances from from our freshmen again today,' fifth-year Oregon coach Jack Griffin said. 'We're just one player short this year, it seems like. We just need to continue to compete and get better.'
The Ducks also won the doubles point, winning at Nos. 1 and 3. It marked only the sixth time this season TCU has lost the doubles point. Janice Nyland teamed with Mendiburu to defeat Paty Aburto and Leoni Weirich, 8-6 at No. 1. At the No. 3 position, Adeline Arnaud and Jeanette Mattsson beat TCU's duo of Saber and Pierce, 8-2.
Oregon next takes on UC Irvine on the road next Saturday at 11 a.m.
No. 26 TCU 4, Oregon 3
1. Katrin Gaber (TCU) def. Janice Nyland (UO), 6-3, 6-0
2. Paty Aburto (TCU) def. Jeanette Mattsson (UO), 6-4, 6-1
3. Davina Mendiburu (UO) def. Rosa Perez (TCU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Leoni Weirich (TCU) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-2, 6-2
5. Courtney Nagle (UO) def. Saber Pierce (TCU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Karolina Roubickova (TCU) def. Valerie Young (UO), 6-3, 6-1
1. Mendiburu/Nyland (UO) def. Aburto/Weirich (TCU), 8-6
2. Gaber/Roubickova (TUC) def. #33 Gieczys/Nagle (UO), 9-8
3. Arnaud/Mattsson (UO) def. Perez/Pierce (TCU), 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive