No. 9 Women's Tennis Falls to USC, 5-2
April 21, 2001
LOS ANGLELES, CA - The 15th-ranked USC women's tennis team closed out the regular season with a 5-2 upset victory over No. 9 Cal at the Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 17-7 overall, 5-2 in the Pac-10 and finish second in conference standings, while Cal drops to 14-6 overall and 4-4 in the Pac-10. The last meeting between the schools was cancelled due to rain, which made this final match of the regular season a Pac-10 contest.
USC opened the afternoon by winning two of three doubles matches. Despite losing at center court, theTrojans' Melissa Esmero and Anita Loyola captured an 8-4 win at No. 2 against Christina Fusano and Sekita Grant. USC's Maureen Diaz and Bernadette Bayani followed with an 8-6 win at No. 3, defeating Nicole Havlicek and Catherine Lynch.
With the doubles point in hand, the USC earned the next two points with two-set victories at courts five and six. Cal responded with a 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 win by Raquel Kops-Jones over Loyola at No. 2 to bring the score to 3-1. At No. 4, USC's Tiffany Brymer clinched the match for the Trojans by adding the fourth point with a third-set tiebreaker victory (6-2, 3-6, 7-6) over the Bears Jieun Jacobs.
Cal will now prepare for the Pac-10 Tournament which will be held in Ojai, CA, April 26-29.
(1) Kurimay/Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-4
(2) Esmero/Loyola (USC) def. Fusano/Grant (Cal) - 8-4
(3) Diaz/Bayani (USC) def. Havlicek/Lynch (Cal) - 8-6
(1) Christina Fusano (Cal) def. Jewel Peterson (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
(2) Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-1, 2-6, 7-6
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Catherine Lynch (Cal) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Jieun Jacobs (Cal) - 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Sekita Grant (Cal) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) Nicole Havlicek (Cal) - 6-7, 6-1, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/17 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive