Ducks Lose Close Match to No. 46 San Diego State, 4-3
April 22, 2001
After shutting out UC Irvine on Saturday, the University of Oregon women's tennis team was unable to continue the streak, losing to 46th-ranked San Diego State in a close match, 4-3, at the SDSU tennis courts. After adding to their eight-game winning streak, the Aztecs' record improves to 15-7, while the Ducks' falls to 5-16.
Logging back-to-back wins during the trip down to California was freshman Courtney Nagle, junior Adeline Arnaud, and freshman Davina Mendiburu. At the No. 2 position, Mendiburu recorded a straight-set win over Silvia Tornier (7-5, 6-1), while Oregon teammates Nagle and Arnaud both defeated their opponents in third-set tie-breakers at the No. 5 and No. 6 spots, respectively.
The Ducks will finish up the Pacific-10 regular season with a rescheduled game against the UCLA Bruins in Los Angeles on Wednesday, April 25 at 12:00 p.m.
San Diego State 4, Oregon 3
1. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU) def. Janice Nyland (UO), 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
2. Davina Mendiburu (UO) def. Silvia Tornier (SDSU), 7-5, 6-1
3. Whitney Wells (SDSU) def. Jeanette Mattsson (UO), 6-1, 6-2
4. Katja Karrento (SDSU) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-2, 6-1
5. Courtney Nagle (UO) def. Katy Becker (SDSU), 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (0)
6. Adeline Arnaud (UO) def. Julie Chidley, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (8)
1. Hedberg/Tornier (SDSU) def. Gieczys/Nagle (UO), 8-4
2. Wells/Chidley (SDSU) def. Mendiburu/Nyland (UO), 8-4
3. Karrento/Becker (SDSU) def. Arnaud/Mattsson (UO), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 5:00pm PTLive