Arollo, Frerichs Post Personal Bests in First Day of Pac-10 Multi-Event Championships
May 12, 2001
BERKELEY, Calif. -- Arizona State track and field athletes Kyle Frerichs and Elizabeth Arollo recorded personal bests in three events, but find themselves trailing the competition after the first day of the Pac-10 Multi-Events Championships at Cal's Edwards Stadium Saturday.
Frerichs, a senior, is in 10th place with 3,291 points after five events of the decathlon. Following four events of the heptathlon, Arollo is in ninth place with 2,555 points.
Both Sun Devils posted personal bests in the high jump, as Arollo shattered her previous PR of five feet, one inch, clearing the bar today at a height of 5-4.25 inches. Frerichs set a new PR by clearing 5-11.5, improving his previous best effort of 5-10. He also opened the day with a PR in the 100m, clocking a time of 11.81.
Going into tomorrow's final day of competition, Washington State's Whitney Evans leads the heptathlon with 3,318 points and Oregon's Santiago Lorenzo leads the decathlon with 3,920 points. Sunday's events get underway at 11 a.m. with the men's 110-meter hurdles and conclude at 5:15 p.m. with the men's 1500 meters.
Pac-10 Multi-Event Championships
Saturday, May 12, Edwards Stadium, Berkeley, Calif.
Heptathlon Results (Day 1)
1. Whitney Evans, WSU 3,318 pts.
2. Julie Tinker, STAN 3,305 pts.
3. Ellannee Richardson, WSU 3,205 pts.
4. Spring Harris, USC 2,994 pts.
5. Jenny Kenyon, ORE 2,990 pts.
6. Shawna Adkins, CAL 2,982 pts.
7. Ann Sullivan, ORE 2,952 pts.
8. Lillian Bush, STAN 2,859 pts.
9. Elizabeth Arollo, ASU 2,555 pts.
Decathlon Results (Day 1)
1. Santiago Lorenzo, ORE 3,920 pts.
2. Steve Dwyer, WSU 3,770 pts.
3. Russell Silvers, USC 3,756 pts.
4. Billy Pappas, ORE 3,721 pts.
5. Jason Goff, STAN 3,717 pts.
6. Matt Blair, CAL 3,558 pts.
7. Casey Thompson, USC 3,547 pts.
8. Ryan Hendren, USC 3,374 pts.
9. Jason Slye, ORE 3,357 pts.
10. Kyle Frerichs, ASU 3,291 pts.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/17 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive