Women's Tennis Advances to Second Round of NCAAs
May 12, 2001
NORFOLK, Va. -- In NCAA Women's Tennis Championship action during the first round of play May 12, No. 12 USC and No. 22 South Alabama advanced at the Old Dominion University Tennis Complex in Norfolk, Virginia. The Jaguars topped host school and 33rd-ranked Old Dominion, 4-3, followed by a 4-0 Women of Troy victory over Maryland-Baltimore County. South Alabama (21-5) and USC (18-6) will meet Sunday at noon in the second round for the right to advance to the NCAA Round of 16 at Stone Mountain, Ga.
USC played the second match of the day and to an impressive victory, giving up just five sets in a 4-0 win. The Trojans were paced by doubles victories at courts two and three to start the match as Melissa Esmero and Anita Loyola blanked Karri Bielewicz and Karen Prangley, 8-0, and Bernadette Bayani and Maureen Diaz took care of Nicole Russo and Katheryn Wheatley, 8-2.
In singles, 74th-ranked Diaz and Esmero both won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3 and 6, respectively. Then 28th-ranked Jewel Peterson clinched the USC win with a 6-0, 6-3 triumph at center court over Anita Pushpanatham.
South Alabama jumped out of the gate with an impressive doubles outing, winning the point with victories at the first and third position. The duo of Martina Ondrejkova and Iva Puflerova, who had advanced to the national semifinals two years ago, won 8-2 over the 49th-ranked Old Dominion duo of Nataly Cahana and Ana Radeljevic.
Old Dominion battled back, winning the first three singles sets behind fifth-ranked Cahana at No. 1 singles. Cahana was an easy 6-0, 6-2 winner. Lara van Rooyen and Radeljevic then added two more wins forcing the match to be decided at the fourth singles position. Nienke Scheltens topped Mily Kannarkat 6-3, 6-3, for the South Alabama victory.
USC 4, Maryland-Baltimore County
(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) vs. Karaskova/Pushpanatham (UMBC) - Did not finish
(2) Esmero/Loyola (USC) def. Bielewicz/Prangley (UMBC) - 8-0
(3) Bayani/Diaz (USC) def. Russo/Wheatley (UMBC) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Anita Pushpanatham (UMBC) - 6-0, 6-3
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) vs. Jana Karaskova (UMBC) - Did not finish
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Karri Bielewicz (UMBC) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) vs. Karen Prangley (UMBC) - Did not finish
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) vs. Kathryn Wheatley (UMBC) - Did not finish
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Nicole Russo (UMBC) - 6-0, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive