Women's Tennis Will Meet Georgia In Quarterfinals
May 17, 2001
STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. - The 10th-seeded USC women's tennis team (20-7) will advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals after defeating seventh-ranked Northwestern 5-1 in the Round of 16 at the Lincoln Tennis Center on Thursday morning.
With the win, USC avenged an earlier 5-2 loss to the Wildcats. The two met previously in the quarterfinal playoffs (back draw) of the ITA Team Championships on Feb. 17.
In the opening match of the NCAA Championships, USC jumped out to the early lead by capturing the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and 3. In singles, Jewel Peterson was the first to add a point with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Northwestern's No. 39 Colleen Cheng. The Wildcats followed with a win at No. 5, but it was the last point they would capture as USC fought to earn wins at courts two, three and four for the match victory.
The Women of Troy will meet No. 2 Georgia in the Quarterfinals on Friday, May 18, at 11 a.m. The Bulldogs defeated No. 15 Baylor 4-0 to advance. Georgia and USC are familiar oppoenets at the NCAA Championships. Last season, the Bulldogs eliminated the Trojans, 5-1, in the Quarterfinals, and went on to garner the 2000 NCAA Team Championship title.
#10 USC 5, #7 Northwestern 1
(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Cheng/Piriou (NW) - 9-7
(2) Loyola/Esmero (USC) vs. Jackson/Rush (NW) - Incomplete
(3) Bayani/Diaz (USC) def. Barnes/Petutiu (NW) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Colleen Cheng (NW) - 6-2, 6-3
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Lia Jackson (NW) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Marine Piriou (NW) - 6-3, 1-6, 7-6
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Duffy (NW) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
(5) Simona Petrutiu (NW) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) vs. Jessica Rush (NW) - Incomplete
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive