Men's Soccer Defeats Portland in Final Minute of Game

Nov. 9, 2001

Seattle - Sophomore Seth Marsh checked into the game in the 88th minute and scored the game-winning goal with just seven seconds remaining in regulation to lift the 10th-ranked Washington men's soccer team to 4-3 non-conference victory over No. 15 Portland in front 2,808 fans at Husky Soccer Field.

The Huskies, who remain undefeated at home, improve to 12-3-0 on the season. Portland, which entered the match on a seven-game unbeaten streak, drops to 11-5-1.

Marsh (Federal Way, Wash./Decatur HS), a season-long starter, came off the bench at 88:50 with the score tied at 3-3. A corner kick by senior co-captain Ben Somoza set up the score as Marsh collected the ball directly in front on the goal and from six yard out sent a header into the net at 89:53.

Portland scored all three of its goals in the first half. The first goal came just two minutes into the match when Kelly Gray took a cross from Josh Simpson and flicked the ball in the net at 2:25. Washington answered quickly when senior Zach Kingsley received a cross from Somoza and sent a header into the lower left corner at 6:01.

The next two scores were just as quick. Portland's Jarrod Weis got a breakaway shot all alone and from close range beat the keeper and sent the ball into the lower left again at 34:30. Somoza evened the score when he converted a penalty kick after Kingsley was fouled in the box at 38:46.

The Pilots scored their final goal just before the half when Gray scored again, this time blasting the ball from 25 yards out at 43:37.

Another Husky reserve, Greg Foisie scored the equalizer in the 70th minute. Foisie got a clean breakaway and was all alone on the right side when he slid past the keeper and found the back of the net from 10 yards out at 70:53.

Junior keeper Chad Olsen earned the win in goal, making three saves on the night. Portland's Curtis Spiteri notched seven saves in the losing effort. The Huskies outshot Portland, 23-14 while the Pilots held the advantage in fouls, 20-11.

'We turned it up a notch in the second half,' said Husky coach Dean Wurzberger. 'The stats were almost even at halftime. We outshot them in the second half. Absolutely turned it up another notch. Got the equalizer. We just kept at it. We missed a few other great shots. How dramatic can you get? We never got discouraged. The message at halftime was, 'this game is out there to be won for us.' We need to cut out the mistakes and keep doing the things that bring us success. We did very well in the wide areas. Our subs came on and did a great job. It was senior power. We had every senior out there when we made that change (Trevor Frobose and Greg Foisie coming in at forward late in the first half) and left them out there. The seven seniors made a difference. This is exactly what we needed for our confidence and to get back on track.

'We've got to put this behind us now and get ready for UCLA. It was a tremendous effort by the players. I really have to say the senior class changed the game. (Greg) Foisie came on as a sub and scored. It was a tremendous result.'

Washington is back on the road for its next game, at UCLA, at 2 p.m., Sun., Nov. 11. The Huskies play their final two regular season home games next weekend, hosting California, Nov. 16 and Stanford, Nov. 18.

College Men's Soccer
(No. 15) Portland at (No. 10) Washington
Husky Soccer Field, Seattle, Wash.
Nov. 9, 2001

(No. 10) Washington 4, (No. 15) Portland 3
1, UP, Kelly Gray (Josh Simpson), 2:25.
2, UW, Zach Kingsley (Ben Somoza), 6:01.
3, UP, Jarrod Weis, 34:30.
4, UW, Somoza, (PK), 38:46.
5, UP, Gray, 43:37.
6, UW, Greg Foisie, 70:53.
7, UW, Seth Marsh (Somoza), 89:53.

Shots: UW 23, UP 14.
Corners: UW 4, UP 4.
Saves: UP 7 (Curtis Spiteri), UW 3 (Chad Olsen),
Fouls: UP 20, UW 11.
Cautions: UP 2 (Josh Jacqua, Josh Simpson), UW 1 (Bryn Ritchie).
Attn: 2,808

Now on Pac-12 Network
2:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder