Men's Soccer Falls 1-0 to Portland in NCAA 2nd Round

Nov. 25, 2001

SEATTLE - Portland today ended the season of the 10th-ranked Washington men's soccer squad with a 1-0 defeat of the host Huskies in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Washington finishes its season at 13-6-0, while Portland (13-5-1) advances to play at No. 3 Stanford in the round of 16 next weekend.

Washington outshot the Pilots 7-3 in the first half, but was unable to finish off a series of well-placed crosses in the front of the Portland net. The game remained scoreless until Pilot sophomore Nate Jacqua, who tallied the lone goal in Portland's 1-0 first-round win over Gonzaga on Friday, found himself unguarded 35 yards out at the 62:45 mark and blasted an unexpected shot past Washington keeper Daniel Waltman for the winning score.

Portland brought in extra defenders following the goal, but Washington had a chance to equalize in the 80th minute, when senior Billy Sleeth found sophomore Seth Marsh open in front of the net. Marsh, who beat Portland with a goal in the final 10 seconds earlier this month, fired high, however, to end the Huskies' last significant scoring opportunity.

'Washington put us under all kinds of pressure, and our intial gameplan was simply to weather the storm,' said Portland head coach Clive Charles, who also coached the Portland women's team to a 2-0 NCAA second-round victory over Washington on Nov. 18. 'I'm proud of the way we played - we battled, we fought hard, and we weren't going to lose today.'

The loss marks the seventh-consecutive season Washington has been defeated in the tournament's first or second round, and was the final game for seven Husky seniors, including team captains Bryn Ritchie and Ben Somoza.

'I regret the result,' said Ritchie of the game, 'but I don't regret my four years at Washington. They were the best four years of my life.'

Now on Pac-12 Network
11:30 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder