11th-Ranked UW Women's Tennis Falls to No. 14 Wake Forest
Feb. 7, 2002
MADISON, Wis. - The top four singles players won their matches for 14th-ranked Wake Forest which defeated the No. 11 Washington women's tennis team 5-2 on Thursday in the first round of the National Team Indoor Championships at Wisconsin's Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Junior Andrea Coulter and freshman Dea Sumantri were the only players to notch singles victories for the Huskies (4-1) who suffered their first loss of the season. Coulter rallied from one set down to defeat Danielle Schwartz 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 in No. 5 singles. Sumantri handily won the No. 6 singles competition over Elizabeth Proctor by a 6-1, 6-3 tally.
Wake Forest avenged a 4-3 loss at the hands of the Huskies in the second round of the 2001 National Team Indoor tournament. The 16-team competition continues through Sunday.
Bea Bielik won the No. 1 singles match 6-2, 6-4 over UW's Darija Klaic. Wake Forest's Janet Bergman topped Claire Carter 6-2, 6-3 in No. 2 singles. Mauren Haus edged Ilona Kordonskaya 6-4, 7-5 in No. 3 singles and Katie Martzolf won 6-4, 7-5 over Colleen Gray in the No. 4 spot.
The Deacons won two of three matches to claim the doubles point. Bergman and Bielik teamed to defeat UW's Carter and Klaic 8-2 in the top doubles competition while Schwartz and Martzolf beat Coulter and Erin Hoe 8-2 in No. 3 doubles.
Washington's No. 2 doubles tandem of Gray and Sumantri won their match 8-4 over the Deacon duo of Haus and Aimee Smith.
Wake Forest advances to a second-round meeting with top-ranked Stanford, a 7-0 winner over Wisconsin. The Cardinal won the last two National Indoor titles.
The Huskies will play Friday morning in the consolation round against host Wisconsin.
National Team Indoor Championships
Feb. 7, 2002
Nielsen Tennis Center, Madison, Wis.
(14) Wake Forest 5, (11) Washington 2
1. Bea Bielik (WF) d. Darija Klaic (UW), 6-2, 6-4
2. Janet Bergman (WF) d. Claire Carter (UW), 6-2, 6-3
3. Mauren Haus (WF) d. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW), 6-4, 7-5
4. Katie Martzolf (WF) d. Colleen Gray (UW), 6-4, 7-5
5. Andrea Coulter (UW) d. Danielle Schwartz (WF), 3-6, 6-1, 7-6
6. Dea Sumantri (UW) d. Elizabeth Proctor (WF), 6-1, 6-3
1. Bergman/Bielik (WF) d. Carter/Klaic (UW), 8-2
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) d. Haus/Smith (WF), 8-4
3. Martzolf/Schwartz (WF) d. Hoe/Coulter (UW), 8-2