No. 1 Women's Tennis Downs Wake Forest 5-2
Feb. 8, 2002
MADISON, Wisc. - No. 1 Stanford women's tennis moved into the semifinal round of the 2002 National Women's Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc., Friday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over No. 15 Wake Forest. The Cardinal is now 5-0 on the season and extends its winning streak to 35 matches after dispatching of the Deamon Deacons.
Stanford managed to win the doubles point and take a 1-0 lead despite enduring an 8-5 setback at the No. 1 spot, as the duo of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.)- ranked sixth nationally- were defeated by the nation's No. 3 squad of Bea Bielik and Janet Bergman. The Cardinal used 8-3 victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions to win doubles.
The singles slate proved to be competitive as well, with the Cardinal taking four of the six matches. No. 42 Barnikow won her match at No. 2 singles, bouncing Wake Forest's Bergman 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 to lead the charge. Sophomore Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) earned her 10th win of the season by clinching the victory for the Cardinal with her 6-4, 6-2 triumph over Wake Forest's Aimee Smith. The Deamon Deacons, the tournament's No. 8 seed, secured singles wins at Nos. 1 and 4 positions.
The Cardinal, which has won a record six titles at this event, will hook up with No. 5 Georgia, the tournament's No. 4 seed, on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in the semifinal round.
Stanford 5, Wake Forest 2
1. No. 1 Bea Bielik (WAKE) def. No. 11 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 42 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. No. 12 Janet Bergman (WAKE) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. No. 10 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. No. 67 Maren Haus (WAKE) 6-2, 6-7 (6), 10-8
4. No. 110 Katie Martzolf (WAKE) def. No. 52 Keiko Tokuda (STAN) 6-3, 6-7 (1), 6-3
5. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Aimee Smith (WAKE) 6-4, 6-2
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Danielle Schwartz (WAKE) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
1. No. 3 Bielik/Bergman (WAKE) def. No. 6 Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) 8-5
2. Lastra/Tokuda (STAN) def. Haus/Smith (WAKE) 8-3
3. Anderson/Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. Martzolf/Schwartz 8-3