Coulter Leads UW Women's Tennis to Victory over Baylor
Feb. 9, 2002
MADISON, Wis. - Junior Andrea Coulter took part in a doubles win and scored the decisive singles victory Saturday, lifting the 11th-ranked Washington women's tennis team to a 4-3 triumph over No. 21 Baylor in the National Team Indoor Championships at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
The Huskies (6-1) finished with a 2-1 record in tournament play. UW lost 5-2 against No. 14 Wake Forest during Thursday's opening round before edging host Wisconsin 4-3 in consolation bracket action on Friday. Washington's win avenged a 4-3 setback against Baylor in the third round of last year's National Indoor Championships.
Saturday's team competition was tied 3-3 with only the No. 4 singles match to complete. Coulter rallied from one set down to clinch the Husky team victory with a 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 triumph over the Bears' Frida Borjesson.
Washington won the doubles point, winning two of three matches over Baylor (3-2). Coulter teamed with senior Ilona Kordonskaya in No. 3 doubles for an 8-3 win over Paola Stephen and Daria Potapova. The UW tandem of Coleen Gray and Dea Sumantri clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 decision over Borjesson and Patricia Graf.
The doubles point proved decisive as the teams split the six singles matches. Gray posted a 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 win over Graf in the No. 3 spot while sophomore Erin Hoe was a 6-2, 6-4 victor over Barbara Blahutiakova in No. 6 singles.
Baylor was victorious in three of the top four singles competitions. Katja Kovac won the No. 1 singles match 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 over UW sophomore Claire Carter. Vida Mulec claimed a 6-3, 6-2 win over Kordonskaya in the No. 2 spot and Potapova beat Sumantri 6-2, 7-6 (2) in No. 5 singles.
The Bears' lone doubles win was an 8-6 decision in the No. 1 position by Kovac and Mulec over Carter and Darija Klaic.
Washington returns to action Feb. 22, hosting Portland at noon in the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
National Team Indoor Championships
Nielsen Tennis Center, Madison, Wis.
Feb. 9, 2002
(11) Washington 4, (21) Baylor 3
1. #29 Katja Kovac (BU) d. #39 Claire Carter (UW), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. #43 Vida Mulec (BU) d. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW), 6-3, 6-2
3. Colleen Gray (UW) d. Patricia Graf (BU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4. Andrea Coulter (UW) d. Frida Borjesson (BU), 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 (*clinched team win)
5. Daria Potapova (BU) d. Dea Sumantri (UW), 6-2, 7-6 (2)
6. Erin Hoe (UW) d. Barbara Blahutiakova (BU), 6-2, 6-4
1. #25 Kovac/Mulec (BU) d. #15 Carter/Darija Klaic (UW), 8-6
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) d. Graf/Borjesson (BU), 8-5 (*clinched doubles point)
3. Coulter/Kordonskaya (UW) d. Paola Stephen/Potapova (BU), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive