No. 11 Cal Stumbles Early, Comes Back Strong at National Team Indoors
Feb. 11, 2002
Louisville, KY - The No. 11 Cal men's tennis squad suffered a setback at the National Team Indoors in Kentucky, dropping their first two matches of the three day event, but rallied to drop No. 53 Brown on Saturday by a 4-2 score.
The Bears had high hopes to establish themselves as a national power at the event, which featured the top 12 teams in the country, including Stanford, USC and UCLA, but were defeated on the opening day by No. 6 Illinois. Cal started off strong by claiming the doubles point, but were swept in singles, losing the four matches which were completed.
Cal opened up strong again on the second day against No. 27 Indiana State, again taking the doubles point to open the match. The trouble came again in singles, where the Bears picked up wins by John Paul Fruttero on the top court and by Chase Exon on the sixth court, but were defeated on courts two through five.
The final match against Brown saw Cal break their tournament trends. While dropping the doubles point, the Bears rebounded in singles to overwhelm the Rhode Island school, with only Balazs Veress taking a loss at the third spot, as the Bears claimed a 4-2 victory.
Cal comes home this week to take on Fresno State at the Hellman Courts at 1:30 p.m.
No. 6, Illinois 4, No. 11 California 1
1. Delic/Calkins (I) d. Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal), 9-8(1)
2. Miles/Veress (Cal) d. Kosta/Zeder (I), 9-8 (6)*
3. Exon/Ledonova (Cal) d. Martin/Parker (I), 9-7
1. Amer Delic (I) d. John Paul Fruttero (Cal), 7-6 (5), 7-5
2. Brian Wilson (I) d. Mik Ledonova (Cal), 6-4, 6-1
3. Phil Stolt (I) d Wayne Wong (Cal), 6-4, 7-6 (6)*
5. Mike Kosta (I) d. Conor Niland (Cal), 6-4, 6-2
DNF No. 4 and 6
No. 27 Indiana State 4, No. 11 California 3
John Paul Fruttero/Robert Kowalczyk (C) defeated Stefan Hirn/David O'Connell (IS), 8-5
Ben Miles/Balazs Veress (C) defeated Henry Choi/Vedran Vidovic (IS), 9-7
John Paul Fruttero (C) defeated Vedran Vidovic (IS), 6-1,6-3
Stefan Hirn (IS) defeated Wayne Wong (C), 7-6(7),5-7,6-4
Lovre Brajkovic (IS) defeated Balazs Veress (C), 6-4,6-2
Henry Choi (IS) defeated Conor Niland (C), 6-4,7-6(4)
David O'Connell (IS) defeated Robert Kowalczyk (C), 3-6,7-6(5),7-6(6)
Chase Exon (C) defeated Dalibor Mihajlovic (IS), 7-6(4),6-1
No. 11 California 4, No. 53 Brown 2 (Consolation)
1. Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal) vs. Shamasdin/Goldberg (B) DNF
2. Cerretani/Malone (B) d. Miles/Veress (Cal), 8-3
3. Natale/Drake (B) d. Exon/Ledonova (Cal), 8-4
1. John Paul Fruttero (Cal) d. Nick Malone (B), 6-3, 6-4
2. Wayne Wong (Cal) d. Justin Natale (B), 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-1
3. Jamie Cerretani (B) d. Balazs Veress (Cal), 6-4, 6-1
4. Conor Niland (Cal) vs. Chris Drake (B), DNF
5. Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) d. Adil Shamsdin (B), 6-2, 6-0
6. Chase Exon (Cal) d. Nick Goldberg (B), 6-3, 6-3
* - clinched doubles/match
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:30pm PTLive