Men's Tennis Edges Arizona, 4-3
Feb. 22, 2002
Tucson, Ariz. - The fourth-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated No. 43 Arizona, 4-3, Saturday (Feb. 22) on the road. The Trojans improve to 8-2 with the win, while the Wildcats suffer their second loss of the season (6-2). The match does not count against conference records.
USC edged the Wildcats by starting the match with a 1-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles matches. Keeping the same lineup used against BYU earlier in the week, pairs Daniel Langre and Prakash Amritraj and Andrew Park and Damien Spizzo found success again, winning by 8-4 and 8-3 scores, respectively. Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore defeated Steven Capriati and Tom Lloyd, 9-8, at center court.
In singles the Trojans endured losses at No. 1, 2 and 5, but clinched the victory when Ruben Torres defeated Arizona's Arnaud Agniel in three sets at court six (5-7, 6-2, 6-1). Amritraj defeated Lloyd at No. 3, 7-6, 7-5, and Rainey beat Carl Hagman, 7-6 (4), 6-4, at the No. 4 spot.
The Trojans travel to Tempe to face No. 42 Arizona State on Saturday, Feb. 23, at Noon MST.
#4 USC 4, #43 Arizona 3
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Capriati/Lloyd (Ariz) - 9-8
(2) Langre/Amritraj (USC) def. Hagman/O'Grady (Ariz) - 8-4
(3) Spizzo/Park (USC) def. Kim/Jackson (Ariz) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Steven Capriati (Ariz) def. Andrew Park (USC), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
(2) Whi Kim (Ariz) def. Ryan Moore (USC) - 6-3, 5-7, default
(3) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Tom Lloyd (Ariz) - 7-6, 7-5
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Carl Hagman (Ariz) - 7-6(4), 6-4
(5) Colin O'Grady (Ariz) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-2, retired
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Arnaud Agniel (Ariz) - 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive