Arizona Women's Tennis Falls to California
March 8, 2002
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 34 University of Arizona women's tennis team dropped Friday's match to the No. 14 California Golden Bears, 6-1, in the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. California won five of the six singles matches and swept the three doubles matches. The Wildcats fell to 7-5 overall and 1-4 in the Pac-10 Conference, while the Golden Bears improved to 8-1 on the season.
Individually for the Wildcats, freshman Marie-Pier Pouliot defeated Cal sophomore Nicole Havlicek, 7-6, 6-2, to earn Arizona's only win of the afternoon. In the No. 1 position, Cal sophomore Raquel Kops-Jones downed freshman Maja Mlakar, 6-2, 6-4. Sophomore Jieun Jacobs topped sophomore Debbie Larocque, 6-1, 6-4. Junior Christina Fusano earned a three-set victory over Wildcat freshman Dianne Hollands, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6. In the fourth position, sophomore Catherine Lynch defeated sophomore Perrine Pernin, 6-3, 6-3. After dropping the first set to UA freshman Daniela Torres, sophomore Jody Scheldt pulled out the win, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1.
In doubles action, the Golden Bears dominated the field by taking all three matches. Cal's duo of Kops-Jones and Scheldt defeated UA's Mlakar and Larocque, 8-5. The team of Fusano and Jacobs downed Pouliot and Pernin, 8-5. Cal's Carla Arguelles and Havlicek completed the doubles sweep with a 9-8 win over Hollands and Brooke Taylor.
The Wildcat women's tennis squad returns to action Saturday, March 9 against the No. 3 Stanford Cardinal, at noon, in the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
- ### -
1. Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-2, 6-4
2. Jieun Jacobs (Cal) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-1, 6-4
3. Christina Fusano (Cal) def. Dianne Hollands (UA), 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
4. Catherine Lynch (Cal) def. Perrine Pernin (UA), 6-3, 6-3
5. Marie-Pier Pouliot (UA) def. Nicole Havlicek (Cal), 7-6, 6-2
6. Jody Scheldt (Cal) def. Daniela Torres (UA), 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
1. Jones/Scheldt (Cal) def. Mlakar/Larocque (UA), 8-5
2. Fusano/Jacobs (Cal) def. Pouliot/Pernin (UA), 8-5
3. Havlicek/Arguelles (Cal) def. Hollands/Taylor, 9-8