Arizona Men's Tennis Falls to California Saturday on the Road
March 9, 2002
BERKELEY, Calif. - The No. 47 University of Arizona men's tennis team lost to the 10th-ranked California Golden Bears, 1-6, Saturday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Wildcats dropped to 7-6 overall and 0-5 in the Pac-10 Conference, while the Golden Bears improved to 9-3 overall and 3-0 in the league. California took five of the six singles matches and two of the three doubles matches.
In the No. 1 position for the Wildcats, senior Steven Capriati defeated California junior John Paul Fruttero, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, to earn Arizona's lone point for the match.
The Golden Bears went on to earn five individual wins on the singles side, as Cal was led by sophomore Balazs Veress, who defeated sophomore Whi Kim, 7-6, 6-4, in the No. 2 spot. Freshman Wayne Wong downed UA sophomore Carl Hagman, 6-4, 6-4, in the third position. In the No. 4 position, Cal freshman Mik Ledvonova defeated UA senior Bruno Arapovic, 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Ben Miles topped sophomore Roeland Brateanu, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 5 slot. Senior Chase Exon completed the afternoon with a win over Wildcat freshman Colin O'Grady, 6-4, 6-1.
In doubles action, UA's team of Capriati and Hagman defeated Miles and Veress, 9-8, in the No. 1 doubles position. The Golden Bear duo of Fruttero and Wong downed Kim and junior Tom Lloyd, 8-3, in the second slot. Exon and freshman Patrick Briaud topped O'Grady and sophomore Arnaud Agniel, 8-5, in the No. 3 position, and clinched the doubles point for the Golden Bears.
The Wildcat men's tennis squad returns to action Friday, March 29, when Arizona takes on the UCLA Bruins, at 1:30 p.m., in Los Angeles, Calif.
1. Steven Capriati (UA) def. John Paul Fruttero (Cal), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. Balazs Veress (Cal) def. Whi Kim (UA), 7-6, 6-4
3. Wayne Wong (Cal) def. Carl Hagman (UA), 6-4, 6-4
4. Mik Ledvonova (Cal) def. Bruno Arapovic (UA), 6-1, 6-1
5. Ben Miles (Cal) def. Roeland Brateanu (UA), 6-3, 6-2
6. Chase Exon (Cal) def. Colin O'Grady (UA), 6-4, 6-1
1. Capriati/Hagman (UA) def. Miles/Veress (Cal), 9-8
2. Fruttero/Wong (Cal) def. Lloyd/Kim (UA), 8-3
3. Exon/Briaud (Cal) def. O'Grady/Agniel (UA), 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive