Arizona Gymnastics Stunned by Oklahoma Sunday
NORMAN, Okla. - The No. 12 University of Arizona gymnastics team dropped a close road meet to the No. 7 Oklahoma Sooners, 195.500-196.700, Sunday afternoon in the Lloyd Noble Center. Arizona fell to 8-5 on the season, while Oklahoma improved to 11-2 on the year.
Arizona led Oklahoma by 0.275 following the vault and bars events, but the Sooners came back to score a 49.375 on beam and a 49.325 on floor to seal the win. Arizona won the team vault event with a 49.500 - the new No. 2 score on the Wildcat all-time top-10 list - and won the bars (48.775) team event.
Individually for the Wildcats, junior Nikki Beyschau won the vault title with a career-high 9.950 to earn her first individual event win of the season. Sophomore Andi McCabe and senior Randi Liljenquist tied for third on vault with each scoring a 9.900. Liljenquist ended the meet as Arizona's top performer on beam, as she tied for fourth place with a 9.850. She also tied for third on floor with a 9.850 and finished third in the all-around with an overall score of 39.425.
Freshman Katie Johnson posted a career-high 9.875 on vault and tied fellow freshman Monica Bisordi (9.875) for fifth-place honors. Bisordi recorded a career-high 9.825 on bars and tied Liljenquist for third place in the event. Bisordi scored a career-high 9.825 on vault and finished fifth in the all-around with a 38.775. Freshman Stevie Fanning posted a career-high 9.750 in her first collegiate floor performance.
Arizona closes the 2002 regular season schedule with a home meet on Thursday, March 14, at 7:30 p.m. in McKale Center, when the Wildcats square off in a quadrangular meet against Minnesota, Northern Illinois and Washington.
1. Oklahoma49.300 (vault), 48.700 (bars), 49.375 (beam), 49.325 (floor), 196.700 (total)
2. Arizona49.500 (vault), 48.775 (bars), 48.875 (beam), 48.350 (floor), 195.500 (total)
1. Nikki Beyschau Arizona 9.950,2. Mariana Goncalves Oklahoma 9.925,3. Andi McCabe Arizona 9.900,3. Randi Liljenquist Arizona 9.900,5. Katie Johnson Arizona 9.875,5. Monica Bisordi Arizona 9.875,5. Patricia Aoki Oklahoma 9.875,5. Kasie Tamayo Oklahoma 9.875,
1. Kasie Tamayo Oklahoma 9.900,1. Christy Gerard Oklahoma 9.900,3. Allison Landis Oklahoma 9.875,4. Randi Liljenquist Arizona 9.850,4. Patricia Aoki Oklahoma 9.850,4. Mariana Goncalves Oklahoma 9.850,4. Alison Mayberry Oklahoma 9.850,
1. Patricia Aoki Oklahoma 9.900,2. Mariana Goncalves Oklahoma 9.875,3. Randi Liljenquist Arizona 9.850,3. Alison Mayberry Oklahoma 9.850,3. Kasie Tamayo Oklahoma 9.850,3. Allison Landis Oklahoma 9.850,
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive