Men's Tennis Edges Out Florida State, 4-3
March 15, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (7-4) defeated Florida State today at the Whiteman Tennis Center by a score of 4-3. ASU won the doubles point and three singles matches to take the dual.
The Sun Devils started off the match strong taking two of the three doubles matches for the first point. Senior and Junior duo Matt Klinger and Mitchell Bowen posted a victory on the No. 1 court, defeating Xavier Luscan and Rodrigo Laub, 8-5. ASU's Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart won on the No. 2 court, defeating Florida State's Alex Herrera and Jarrod Owen, 8-6.
In singles action, the Devils continued their winning streak taking wins on the No. 1, No. 5, and No. 6 courts. Klinger came off court No. 1 with a victory for ASU defeating Luscan, 6-4, 6-4, and ASU's Bowen won defeating Florida State's Owen, 6-3, 6-3.
ASU clinched the match on the No. 5 court when Stewart fought back after a first set loss to win the match over Herrera, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3. Florida State played tough on the No. 2 and No. 4 courts taking both victories in three sets.
Up next, Arizona State heads to the Pepperdine Quad in Malibu, California on March 23rd and 24th.
1. Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Luscan/ Rodrigo Laub (FS), 8-5
2. Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Herrera/Owen(FS), 8-6
3. Gustav Bucht/ Jurd (FS) def. Letcher/ Rodney Rapson (ASU), 8-3
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Xavier Luscan (FS), 6-4, 6-4
2. Romain Jurd (FS) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(5)
3. Mat Cloer (FS) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU), 7-5, 6-4
4. Chip Webb (FS) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Alex Herrera(FS), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Mitchell Bowen (ASU) def. Jarrod Owen (FS), 6-3, 6-3
Fri 8/17 | 5:00pm PTLive