Bruins Bounce Bearcats, 105-101

March 17, 2002

  • Gear up for the Sweet 16 at the UCLA FANStore!

    AP Sports Writer

    PITTSBURGH -The Bearcats, never before top-seeded at the NCAAs, become the first No. 1 to exit this year's tournament.

    Despite being two of the nation's elite programs, Cincinnati and UCLA hadn't played since 1965, but they made up for it with 50 sensational minutes in Mellon Arena.

    They went to the first overtime tied 80-80, and to the second extra period tied at 90-90. Both teams had chances to win it - Barnes was short with a shot at the end of regulation, and Cincinnati missed several short shots after a scramble underneath in the final seconds of the first OT.

    The Bruins, though, opened some room by scoring the first four points of the second extra session and went up 97-93 with 1:27 left on a three-point play by Billy Knight.

    Dijon Thompson's short jumper put UCLA up by six and, after another Cincinnati miss, Barnes was fouled. He tucked the ball under his arm, raced under UCLA's basket, knelt and pointed to the sky.

    Thompson hit two more free throws to put UCLA up 102-95, but the Bearcats weren't going quietly.

    Field Williams and Logan hit consecutive 3-pointers to bring the Bruins to 103-101 with 1.6 seconds left, before freshman Ryan Walcott sealed it with a pair of free throws.

    Immanuel McElroy's steal and dunk with 9:20 left put the Bearcats up 65-54, and it looked like Cincinnati could start booking its trip to the final 16.

    But Barnes hit two 3-pointers in 3 seconds - the second coming after a foul was called on his first trey - and after a turnover, the 6-foot-11 Gadzuric got free for a dunk to bring the Bruins within 65-62.

    Kapono's 3-pointer with 5:09 left in regulation finally got the Bruins even at 71-all.

    Using five different defenses to stop Logan, the Bruins did a great job on him in the first half, holding him to two points on 1-of-6 shooting. But while UCLA focused on shutting down Logan, the Bruins forgot about Stokes, and he made them pay.

    Stokes, a 6-6 junior from Buffalo, made a career-high four 3-pointers and finished with 18 points in the opening 20 minutes as Cincinnati took a 47-37 halftime lead.

    Logan, who didn't get off his first shot until more than five minutes elapsed and scored his only bucket on a driving layup, was being pestered by UCLA's players even before the opening tip.

    During pregame layups, Bruins senior guard Rico Hines was warned by official Mike Kitts to cut out trash talking. Hines, who had written 'Final Four' on his sneakers before the opening round, was no factor, though, and sat out the second half with a strained left knee.

  • Categories:
    Now on Pac-12 Network
    6:00 PM PT

    Airing on:

    • Pac-12 Network